Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sat Nite Racing in San Antonio -- Video

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Addict

Default Sat Nite Racing in San Antonio -- Video

I managed to get to both tracks that have a Sat nite program last weekend. RCHQ for offroad and Litespeed with its new all concrete track for some drag racing. The concrete track is awesome. Perfectly smooth and level. The old track was a bit uphill. Records should fall big time this year at the World Finals.

Quicktime Streaming
http://promofo-racing.org/video/SA-S...-Sat-Nite.html

Download
http://www.promofo-racing.org/video/...-Sat-Night.zip

YouTube

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Griz
Old 09-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

your videos are amazing
Old 09-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Addict

griz11 you going to make to the rc pro race in san antonio next weekend. i sure hope so man your really good with the cam. hope you make to the finals in Austin as well both races will have a great turn out and very good racing like there was in amarillo.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Tech Addict

Default Thanks and yes I'll be in SA

I'll be in SA next weekend for sure. The last piece of my new stabilizer unit came in today and after a little modification so I could have my spring to pull against like the old mount its ready to go. If the Austin race isn't the 1st weekend in Oct I'll be there as well. The past couple of years its fallen on the same weekend as the IMDRA Worlds. I'll be there Fri and Sun so I'll be resting on Sat. that weekend. Looks like I'm going to be able to shoot the IFMAR race in Houston this fall as well This vid is the first time I used the CAVision rods system and it worked out well. Had to adjust it and tighten up some stuff of course but you can already tell the image is sharper. Now that I have the mono-pole stabilizer under it the image should be even better. Sure is light and comfortable as well. I noticed my back didn't hurt after I got through shooting last weekend even though I shot two tracks.

Griz
Old 09-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Awesome Possum as always Griz....Keep it up buddy.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Griz, glad to see you behind the camera lense again. Hope you are feeling good again.

Mike Mazza
Old 09-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Grizz, that was phenomenal! thanks for posting that..can't wait to have you at a team event....
Old 09-05-2009, 04:11 AM
Tech Addict

Default Lots of Terribles in Tx

Plenty of Terribles have been in the last few vids. Its caught on here in a fairly big way. That would be cool to have a Team event. Until then I'll keep shooting as many local terribles as I can find

Griz
Old 09-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Griz,

What do you use to shoot, and edit?
Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Addict

Default My Setup

I have a Canon XL2 which I use most of the time. I also use a Panasonic GS-300 and a pair of GS-180's sometimes. The XL2 is mounted on a CAVision rods system with a shoulder pad and dual handgrips. Makes it almost as steady as a tripod for following cars its the only way to fly. I'll be adding a Bogen 521 lanc remote lens controller to that rig next month. Software wise I use Vegas 8 and 8.1. CreativeEase filters, Boris FX and Graffiti, and some NewBlue Effects. On the audio side I replaced the stock Canon mic with a Rode Stereo Video Mic. I'll eventually buy a real matte box for the front of my set-up so I can control the light and have lots more flexibility in filters and also higher quality filters than you can get with the screw on type.

The problem here is that a lot of the year everything is under the lights due to the heat. Its really hard to get good image in those conditions with any digital camera still or video. With an excellent quality lens like the XL2 has you run into lots of depth of field issues after the sun sets. My style with the close in shots works best as you can focus manually for the correct distance before the cars come through. The autofocus units love to go into hunt mode at night with a pretty much bland track under the cars.

Encoding is a big part of getting a decent image to the web. I've been working for at least a year trying to get the right combination so the stuff that gets to the web is as sharp and clear as the avi I get out first from Vegas. I'm getting pretty close now. If you are into this kind of stuff do a search and download Handbrake. Its an excellent encoding package that will make excellent mp4's. You can get by without buying a high end camera. The Panasonic GS-300 worked very well on a stabilizer. Now CAVision makes a pro type viewfinder attachment that goes on a 2.7 to 3 inch camera lcd making it a full eyecup arrangement. I like the Canon HV-30 and HV-40. The reason I don't do HD is the amount of compression that those cameras put on the original tape. If I had the money to go P2 so the compression would be 3:1 like mini-dv I'd hop on it. Actually I think the XL2 is better suited to today's bandwidth on the net. The other stuff is coming along but its still a ways off from a really good HD codec for uncompressed video for editing.

Griz