Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What generator do you use at the races?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

please get a quiet one. few things in life are more annoying than listening to some guys cheap, rattle box generator all day long. dont be "that guy".
Old 06-04-2010, 01:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Stubbs
I was actually doing a bit of testing for Kipor on this unit (I'm a product test engineer for John Deere by trade, so they were rather interested in my feedback). Overall, it's an outstanding unit. The engine is indeed a copy of the Honda, but the electronics package is a different design.

The run time, power output, noise, size, & weight are all right on par with the Honda, but I did find one significant shortcoming on the Kipor. The electronics package (inverter / throttle control motor / "smart throttle" load sensing circuitry) has issues with any type of heat gun when anything less than max load is placed on the generator. Where the Honda will kick up to the high idle setting and maintain it smoothly regardless of the heat load, the Kipor engine varies speed wildly, with the RPM going from just above the "smart throttle" reduced RPM setting, to more than 1500 RPM above the maximum listed spec. Additionally, in some instances (such as a hair dryer on the low or medium heat setting), the unit will incorrectly go directly to overload, and kick into self protect mode.

I worked with Kipor to determine root cause on this issue, and it was found that the electronics package in the IG2000 / IG2000P gets confused by the way heat guns (or hair dryers) vary the heat output. Depending on the setting, the Kipor generator is either unable to determine the actual load being placed on it, hence the varying RPM, or believes that it is encountering a dead short, which results in the incorrect "overload" scenario. They are working with the engineering group in China to resolve the problem, now that they know about it. With the exception of this one fault, I can honestly say that the Kipor is an excellent unit, and I would not hesitate to buy one.

The RC scene is a unique market segment, where heat guns/hair dryers are routinely used (although, I would think that folks in the RV community, where Kipor is a much bigger name, would use hair dryers all the time. However, they were genuinely caught off guard when I brought this to their attention). If you are one of the folks running nitro who uses a heat gun or hair dryer on their engine, then I would steer clear of the Kipor generator (or just switch to a motor heater like I did....they work just fine with the IG2000 ).

Sorry if this is a bit long-winded. I just wanted to make sure that I'm watching out for my fellow RC racers.
Cheers Mike - is useful to know. I take it this is just to do with the smart throttle set? If so, presumably people can just switch the smart throttle off when they want to run a heat gun like is recommended when running certain other power tools?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oh that Kipor. I work in the RV world and I've sold 'em all. Want to lose your mind on repairs, mostly voltage reg.,Kipor will send you over the dark side. When you buy any gen set make sure it's a name you've heard of. And the little things matter. Like when your done with it, turn off the fuel and let it run out of gas. The ethanol in pump fuel will gag out the carb in no time. Change the oil often. Air cooled motors use oil for cooling also so it breakes down fast. Most only use one qt. so no big deal. I see alot of people mount it on the jack in front, if so get a cover for it. There a nice one at Northern Tools that works on most. Realy the best I've seen is a Coleman Micro Lite. Very quite and runs very little fuel, has all the power you'll ever need. But they are pricey. How ever when you sell/trade in it jacks the price up real well. Gen sets are like servos, you get what you pay for, plain and simple.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sickboy
please get a quiet one. few things in life are more annoying than listening to some guys cheap, rattle box generator all day long. dont be "that guy".
This!!!

I use the Honda 2000,quiet compact and supply's all the power i need in my pit.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Honda 3000 E-start all the power you need and it's quiet
Old 06-04-2010, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaf1977
Cheers Mike - is useful to know. I take it this is just to do with the smart throttle set? If so, presumably people can just switch the smart throttle off when they want to run a heat gun like is recommended when running certain other power tools?
When using a high amp draw device, such as a heat gun, on any generator that has a "smart throttle" mode, it's best to turn that feature off while using it. It's just easier on the entire system.

Now, answering your question, even with the smart throttle off, the unit still behaved as I described. It's an inherent design flaw in the current units elctronics package. The Honda, Yamaha, Generac, and even the Briggs Inverter style generators work just fine when using a heat gun (I tried this same test on all of them).
Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by The Working Man
Oh that Kipor. I work in the RV world and I've sold 'em all. Want to lose your mind on repairs, mostly voltage reg.,Kipor will send you over the dark side. When you buy any gen set make sure it's a name you've heard of. And the little things matter. Like when your done with it, turn off the fuel and let it run out of gas. The ethanol in pump fuel will gag out the carb in no time. Change the oil often. Air cooled motors use oil for cooling also so it breakes down fast. Most only use one qt. so no big deal. I see alot of people mount it on the jack in front, if so get a cover for it. There a nice one at Northern Tools that works on most. Realy the best I've seen is a Coleman Micro Lite. Very quite and runs very little fuel, has all the power you'll ever need. But they are pricey. How ever when you sell/trade in it jacks the price up real well. Gen sets are like servos, you get what you pay for, plain and simple.
I'll have to agree with you on that....I didn't have the most pleasant experience when I first brought this issue to their attention. Basically, I was told that I was "using the generator in a manner for which it was not intended". To that I replied; " what, you never expect someone in an RV to dry their hair???" It took a while, but they finally started to see that this was more than just an isolated incident, and that they would likely see others having this issue.

I've been told that when the proposed fix is completed, they want to send me the updated controller to install in my unit, and see if it solves the problem. Only time will tell if they're committed enough to actually solve the problem, and follow through with this, but I'm happy with it so far.

As far as fuel goes, I only use 100LL aviation fuel in all of my small engines, with the addition of TCP to address lead deposits. Aviation fuel requires no stabilizer, and is rated for strorage in plastic container for 2+ years. This is the same fuel that we run our equipment with on the assembly lines, since those engines may not be started again for some time. When it evaporates, it leaves no residue behind to gum up the carb. My local regional airport sells it to the gereral public...they even have a credit card reader at the pump.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good info on the Av gas Mike. Thanks man.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/...26/0/home.aspx
Old 06-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

If that Kipor doesn't do well during the long-term testing, this is the one that I would buy, even over the Honda....great little unit, and whisper quiet.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks for all the replies! great info too. I wish I could afford a honda but that is just out of the question right now. When I buy it is going to be for my house too since I live in Florida so 5500 or higher is what I will be buying. I have a line on a coleman and a troybuilt both $300 each and 6500 but just not sure if they are worth it used and they didnt come up much in this thread. will have to bring some goodies like a heat gun and such to test them. If I have too I will install a better exhaust on my farmer gen. when I get it, dont like the noise much myself. anyways thanks greatly for the input
guys!

Matt
Old 06-07-2010, 05:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mattozx6rr
Thanks for all the replies! great info too. I wish I could afford a honda but that is just out of the question right now. When I buy it is going to be for my house too since I live in Florida so 5500 or higher is what I will be buying. I have a line on a coleman and a troybuilt both $300 each and 6500 but just not sure if they are worth it used and they didnt come up much in this thread. will have to bring some goodies like a heat gun and such to test them. If I have too I will install a better exhaust on my farmer gen. when I get it, dont like the noise much myself. anyways thanks greatly for the input
guys!

Matt

You're better off buying a quieter generator. A quieter muffler that fits is likely going to be more expensive than you're expecting and it might be difficult to find one that fits. Spend a little more now and get one that's already quieter. Here's an example of a bunch to choose from, some of which are pretty quiet for not much cash. This is hurricane season (at least here) so these things are everywhere in the local stores:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...00-4-999-watts

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2010, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

ya I must agree if I have learned any thing from this hobby
it is you get what you pay for buy one time not two times
I found my Honda 3000 for $800 new keep looking
Old 06-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

what's a good minimum amp to get i don't want to get something to small or too big
Old 06-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GASMAN123
what's a good minimum amp to get i don't want to get something to small or too big
Generators are rated in Watts, not Amps, but you can do an easy calculation. (Volts x Amps = Watt)

- Using a heat gun - usually no less than 2000W, unless it's a VERY small heat gun.
- Running an 12,000 BTU (1 ton) A/C unit, such as found on a trailer - 3000W minimum (4000W is preferrable).
- Air compressor - Motor HP will determine size. 1 HP = 745.69 watts. Figure 2.5 times for start up wattage requirement, and 80% efficiency on the motor. (ex. 1.5 HP compressor motor will require 3495.42 Watts at start up [1.5 x 745.69 x 2.5 / .80 = 3495.42]. In that situation, you'd want to buy a 4000W generator).

In general, you want to size the generator so that, with all the items you plan to run at once, including start up requirements, you don't exceed 80-85% of the rated output of the generator. Running them at full capacity for extended periods will both consume fuel very fast, and also greatly shorten the unit's life expectancy.

Here's a very informative link...worth reading before buying a generator.

Last edited by Stubbs; 06-09-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: fixing typos...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.