Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need more run time!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

Default Need more run time!

What is the best way to tune your nitreo car for better mileage/run time.
Will a lesser % nitro fuel give you longer runs and how do I decide on witch carb restricter to use.
Thanks in advance for your answers.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (87%+)

Originally Posted by vwdemon34
What is the best way to tune your nitreo car for better mileage/run time.
Will a lesser % nitro fuel give you longer runs and how do I decide on witch carb restricter to use.
Thanks in advance for your answers.
need a little more info, engine? pipe? track surface? clutch? glow plug?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One thing I know that applies to most engines as far as my current knowledge, If you use a smaller carb restrictor, you can lean your motor out more, thus giving you longer run times.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by evrydaysk8r
One thing I know that applies to most engines as far as my current knowledge, If you use a smaller carb restrictor, you can lean your motor out more, thus giving you longer run times.
thats not always the case. i have ran 8mm restrictor with longer run times than useing a 6.5. a smaller restrictor will make your engine rev higher and burn more fuel, good for low end, only restricts air for better top end
Old 08-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alwayswin
thats not always the case. i have ran 8mm restrictor with longer run times than useing a 6.5. a smaller restrictor will make your engine rev higher and burn more fuel, good for low end, only restricts air for better top end
I personally never used any different restrictors than what came with my motors, so I havent had any personal experience with restrictor tuning. I was only stating what I believed was true.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

drive smoother, run the right clutch set-up,drive smoother, correct tires, correct glow plug, drive smoother, smooth drive train....
Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Suspended

Really need more info before we can really help.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Regardless of motor, etc the easiest way to improve fuel economy is to not pull more throttle than you need. If you are opening the carb more than 50-60% you are burning more fuel than you need to without a performance advantage.

When I made a conscious effort this year to only pull half throttle around the track, my runtimes went from 8 minutes to 10 minutes in my buggy.

If you get to watch the pros you will notice this. At a recent race Ty Tessmann was at, his buggy was never screaming or wound out. He was smooth with no wheelspin and only using enough throttle to get around the track efficiently.

Hope this helps,
Kane
Old 08-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

You can use the remote settings to help retard your throttle response, either slow the speed on the servo and or move the expo curve negative. I can defiantly feel it on my e buggy when I do this. It smooths out the power delivery and makes the servo move slower initially, giving a smoother response even if you don't pull the trigger as smoothly.

To answer your question on the nitro % a lower % fuel should give you longer runtimes. So 20% wil run longer but have less pop
Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

i went from 9min in my .19 speed to almost 12 (when pushing my luck) by going up from a 6mm to a 7mm restrictor, going down from 30% to 25% nitro, going down from a p3 plug to a p4 plug, setting my EPA on my remote for my throttle servo at 80% of max, and running a cooler just for good measure. in my experience, the most runtime will be yielded by good trigger finger habits and the above stated tricks.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for all the info. Just looking for general ideas on how to get better mileage.
I run oval and thought I would get some great tips from the off road guys.
Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I stepped down this year from a 21vzb non vspec to an 18tz in my buggy and I went from 7 1/2 mins to just over 10, and that's still running 30%, and letting it scream. I'm going to start playing lowering my epa settings, going to a slightly colder plug, and maybe, just maybe going down to 25% fuel. Not really looking for alot more time but if I could get consistant 12 min runs I'd be gravy. Just some ideas to play with.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Tech Champion

I got way beyond 10 min on a medium sized dusty track today.

OS 21xzb
Mugen short compact header
Ps plug
Xray Xb9

Learn how to tune, learn how to drive. I only need full throttle on the straight, the rest of the track I'm trying to be smooth.