Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Tech Addict

That is so cool !!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JustMe2
**Like Tony said, save your money for someting worthwhile, like tires.

**What is the difference between the Manta Ray diff and the TA03 diff? I need to install one in my car for carpet use. I ran last night with 300K silicone in the gear diff, diffing through the corners like a loose slipper clutch. Anyone use the Yeah Racing spool in the m03?
Manta ray ball diff has a wider gear on it than the TA03. It's also about 7 grams heavier than the TA03 diff. It comes with a plastic thrust bearing that needs assembly ... that could be why it's cheaper.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim K
Manta ray ball diff has a wider gear on it than the TA03. It's also about 7 grams heavier than the TA03 diff. It comes with a plastic thrust bearing that needs assembly ... that could be why it's cheaper.
Plastic thrust bearing? The way people crank down the bolt on ball diffs to firm them up kind of makes this a deal breaker doesn't it? On the other hand, the added friction may help achieve the desired effect. Kind of a very small slipper clutch. Interesting....

I raced my M05 on carpet Saturday and was pretty pleased with the car right out of the box. I had added one shim to the diff and lubed it with AW grease. At the beginning of the day, it felt very "gooey" and worked great getting out of corners. By the end of the day, it was as loose and smooth as any ball diff I run in my touring car. The AW grease must have migrated out of the gears. I may build up another diff and fill it with AW grease and then seal it up with silicone to keep it all inside. I know this will add to rotational mass but having some drive out of the corners seems more important.

What is the quickest way to split the chassis to swap out a diff?

When I built the car, I added a very small amoung of ceramic lube to the gears in the tranny per the manual. Just a drop on each gear. My car was so quiet on the track that I couldn't hear it over the deafening grinding noise coming out of the other cars. It didn't seem to hurt my straight away speed at all.

Andy
Old 03-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

**What is the difference between the Manta Ray diff and the TA03 diff? I need to install one in my car for carpet use. I ran last night with 300K silicone in the gear diff, diffing through the corners like a loose slipper clutch. Anyone use the Yeah Racing spool in the m03?

The Manta Ray diff is much heavier and it does make a difference on the track.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woodys3b
I raced my M05 on carpet Saturday and was pretty pleased with the car right out of the box. I had added one shim to the diff and lubed it with AW grease. At the beginning of the day, it felt very "gooey" and worked great getting out of corners. By the end of the day, it was as loose and smooth as any ball diff I run in my touring car. The AW grease must have migrated out of the gears. I may build up another diff and fill it with AW grease and then seal it up with silicone to keep it all inside. I know this will add to rotational mass but having some drive out of the corners seems more important.

What is the quickest way to split the chassis to swap out a diff?

The grease wil get out, even if you seal the diff(I used Shoe Goo). It comes out around the outputs & gums up the transmission. Makes for a real mess to clean.

Take the left front chassis half off; with a little practice, changing out the diff doesn't take any longer than on the M03. Make sure that nothing is attached to it, like the transponder & all wires are out of the way when you split the chassis.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Starteur
TCS legal ???????

Nobody answered, is it TCS legal ????????
Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Nobody answered, is it TCS legal ????????
is what TCS legal???
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trerc
No, just use string slightly larger than the pin and trim the end so u can get it started then just pull through with pliers and give it a trim, works like a charm, last forever, so do drive cups.
Originally Posted by k_bojar
is what TCS legal???
If you click on the little arrows next to his name it goes back to what the question pertains to. To answer the question, only legal if you don't get caught.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim K
Thanks. I ordered the TA03 diff last night, its got to be better then the stocker.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Tech Champion

If you click on the little arrows next to his name it goes back to what the question pertains to. To answer the question, only legal if you don't get caught.
Already did that, just didn't see the question he was asking about

Been here long enough not to ask for more info unless I didn't see the original question/quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Already did that, just didn't see the question he was asking about

Been here long enough not to ask for more info unless I didn't see the original question/quote

Puting 53890 swing shaft protector on a M03.

That's what I was asking for it's legality.

I know it comes with the M05 ball diff, so why can't we use it on the M03??
Old 03-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Puting 53890 swing shaft protector on a M03.

That's what I was asking for it's legality.

I know it comes with the M05 ball diff, so why can't we use it on the M03??
gotcha...would you really gain that much from using that on a TA03/MantaRay diff??

I get them being used on the M05/TC-styled diffs, but can't see a huge advantage on the M03 diffs

And yes, I realize that didn't answer your question - but you are altering the original design of the diff, so you might have issues if someone catches you..but then again, noone may even notice
Old 03-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Sorry guys...got another dumb question.

What length damper comes on the M04L chassis? Would these ones made for the TT01 work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Version-2-Tamiya...item5d2840be11

But then I see these (which also reference TT01) but they are much longer

http://cgi.ebay.com/X-Spede-Tamiya-T...item563a41335f

I just want to make sure I buy the right size first time around....
Old 03-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

gotcha...would you really gain that much from using that on a TA03/MantaRay diff??

I get them being used on the M05/TC-styled diffs, but can't see a huge advantage on the M03 diffs

And yes, I realize that didn't answer your question - but you are altering the original design of the diff, so you might have issues if someone catches you..but then again, noone may even notice

I was not looking for an advantage but rather to have a longer life of my outrights and swing shafts.

And tell me why every brand of Sedan TC has them????
Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Master

well after TQing at the weekend with my M05 and winning both races by about a lap on 2nd place i thought a re-build was in order before the marathon that is our 6 Heures Du Tynaarlo

fully rebuilt and he is running
3Racing ball diff
TRF shocks (mini type) with 300 oil all round
yellow front springs
red rear springs
2mm spacer on toe tierods (toe out)
Adjustable upper arms rear
3Racing steering mechanism
3Racing battery holder
Tamiya alloy motor mount
Tamiya DF03 heat sink bars
Tamiya Alloy steering connector rod
Titanium screw set
TRF servo saver
silvercan and stock speedo
Bionic batterys stickpack lipo
10g lead inside front bumper
M grip tyres all round with cut down touringcar inserts Swift wheels
Mini body shell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.