Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
a Strange Sound >

a Strange Sound

a Strange Sound

Old 07-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

Default a Strange Sound

Hi. My RC was broken in the attic from 2006-2009, until in May I took it down to get it fixed. At that time when I got started on it, one shock was bent and my engine was not in a good shape. I fixed the shock, bought a new engine and replaced my old engine with the new one, then I tried running the kit. I turned on the electrics (receiver and remote controller) and then started the engine. When I gave it throttle, the engine reved real good, although the kit didn't move at all. I checked it out and found out that one part in the transmission was broken.

I took the transmission apart, and saw that a stick that transferred the energy from the engine was broken. I replaced the part, installed the transmission and every remaining piece needed to be installed. (So, now the kit is fully put together)

Now, when I try rolling the kit around, I hear a sound coming from the area where the transmission is at. Since I don't remember how the kit sounded when I rolled it around last time it was ok, I decided to record the sound for you guys to hear it.

Is this a normal sound?

Video: http://www.filefront.com/14158179/StrangeSound.wmv/
Old 07-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

sounds like the mesh is too tight between the clutch bell and the spur gear. the clutch bell is the last gear coming off the engine. the spur is the one it is touching. Do u know how to loosen it?
Old 07-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by beginner4life
sounds like the mesh is too tight between the clutch bell and the spur gear. the clutch bell is the last gear coming off the engine. the spur is the one it is touching. Do u know how to loosen it?
I know how to loosen the engine mounts, allowing me to make the gear mesh more loose. Should I do that and it will solve my problem? =)
Old 07-30-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

use a piece of copy paper and put between the two gears then tighten
Old 07-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Adept

Default Not the gearmesh

I took the engine off the kit, and tried rolling the kit. The same sound came. I'm starting to think that I might have put the transmission together in a wrong way, so I'm taking the tranny off the kit and taking a look at it.

Stay tuned for further questions
Old 07-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what kind of car is it?
Old 07-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

Default No wait!

I took the arms off the servo which were connected to the breaks and voilá! the sound disappeared! So, the sound came from the breaks, and when I roll the kit around now, it sounds a lot better. (The only thing I hear now is the sound of the breakdiscs touching the breakpillows + the sound that the tires produce)

But please stay with me if I have further questions! xD

Model: Team Losi LST1

The sound was coming from the brakes as they were half breaking