Wiki Posts
Search

O.S. Speed owner speak up

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default O.S. Speed owner speak up

Okay, I am torn between this and a Novarossi Tor Nero. I dont want trash talking just facts. If you have one let me know what you think and if not stay out of the thread. I have heard they only last 4 gallons but dont know if this is true. So let me know.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

I run OS Speed in my Truggy and Buggy, they are awesome engines. I know nothing about the new Novarossi Nero but I have heard they are a powerhouse and need to be used in a Truggy!! I have had the Novarossi 367 w/Hotmods Mod done to it and that thing is awesome also. I don't know about the longevity of the new Nero, OS Speed last alot more than 4 Gallons though!! I run 30% on my Speed and I am at the 5 Gallon mark on the one in my buggy and it has not showed any signs of slowing down!! The Speed will idle all day and has been a great choice for me!! Either way you go, I don't think you will be sorry!!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Thats good info. I am torn but please keep them coming.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroNewbie
Thats good info. I am torn but please keep them coming.
the new toro is geared towards big power and the plus4 is geared towards smooth fast buggy power

Last edited by houston; 03-27-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:58 PM
BH
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It's likely that the people that claim to get only 4 gallons out of speed don't properly maintain their equipment.

If maintained and cared for the speed will last for many gallons. They make very smooth reliable power.

One plus of the OS Speed is the DLC coated crank which will tolerate quite a bit of wear and will allow for at least one good engine rebuild.

I've been nothing but pleased with all of my OS experiences.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I got way over 4 gallons on my speed, but this plus 4 Nova I have is way nice. I just like Nova a little bit more. They make good stuff. From what everybody says the Toro Nero is a beast of a motor. The plus 4 is alot more manageable. Which is good
Old 03-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by NitroNewbie
Okay, I am torn between this and a Novarossi Tor Nero. I dont want trash talking just facts. If you have one let me know what you think and if not stay out of the thread. I have heard they only last 4 gallons but dont know if this is true. So let me know.
I am disappointed with my Speed, especially considering the number of bills I parted with, don't get me wrong it is a reliable engine but IMHO I could have bought a better engine and for less. I am disappointed with the fuel economy and the power, they just dont live up to the hype. My Speed has 3 gallons on it now and it has excellent compression, bearings and rod are still in perfect shape, I did change the rod after run in though.

Get the NOVA!!
Old 03-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AEFT2009
I I am disappointed with the fuel economy and the power, they just dont live up to the hype.
sounds like you need to lean it out, the Speed is one of the most powerful engines with the best fuel economy ever made
Old 03-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

mine has 4 gallons on it and still going strong, i also get 10 min runtimes with the right pipe. just keep good bearings in it. had to replace stock ceramic at a gollon and half. i know people at my track with 11+ gallons through thiers. im thinkin about sellin mine soon
Old 03-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am disappointed with my Speed, especially considering the number of bills I parted with, don't get me wrong it is a reliable engine but IMHO I could have bought a better engine and for less. I am disappointed with the fuel economy and the power, they just dont live up to the hype. My Speed has 3 gallons on it now and it has excellent compression, bearings and rod are still in perfect shape, I did change the rod after run in though.

Get the NOVA!!
My O.S speed has NO fuel milage issues, and definitly has no shortage of power. im able to get 10 to 15 min. on mine with the stock 7MM restricture. If you can find a O.S speed for the same price as the NOVA there is no question in my mind go with the O.S

The O.S speed has a a hardcoated crank as well as ceramic bearings. ive never seen a O.S speed motor get less then 4 gallons. Most that ive ran get 7-10 gallons on them. However if you think about it, they have had more run time on them after 7-10 gallons than most motors that have 15-20 gallons on them, because of there very long runtime between pit stops..

Both good motors, go with what you want, you cant go wrong.

my .02
Old 03-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the speed is a great engine for sure, plenty fast for buggy, fast enough to get you in trouble, and for truggy, you can drive the hell out of it, runtimes are very good as well, great motor for punchy driver's, longevity is no issue, these motor will out last most std crank v spec's

The Toro is a wicked motor, bottom to top the stongest from NR, a great engine for very smooth buggy guy's and punchy driver's will love it in truggy, lack's nothing any where in the powerband, runtimes are just as good as the speed if not better, if you have a high bite track or med bite, the Toro delivers, the speed is better for me on less grip tracks, but med to high the Toro shines.

I own both
Old 03-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

I have 2 speeds. My oldest one got rebuilt when it was on its 10th gallon. I mean nothing got done to that engine til then. It started to flame out cuz compression was low. Still ran like a mother up to that point. Put a new p/s/r, set of tko's & a eb modded head button on it. Runs its best now. 2nd speed is a mag head i bought used. Put a modded head button on it. Both engines are screamers. They have all the bottom end i can possibly use in my truggy & more top end than ANY motor i've run against. Must use the 2060 pipe though. Just my opinion.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Get the NOVA!!

No, not even true. I heard terrible story about Nova as well. I have OS speed VSpec II for about two months, and it is so much better/smoother than my GO engine. I haven't tried toroNero but I have a Plus 4. I think OS speed has more bottom end power than Plus4. Well, I just have the Plus4 for couple wks. I guess I need more time on it before I can draw a conclusion.

Oh, one weakness of OS speed is the price!!! Both Nova Plus 4 and ToroNero are cheaper
Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

just sold my speed to get a toro nero thinking i should have gone with plus 4 might have more motor than i can drive coming the speed was great but only got 9 gallons out of mine and had to change the bearings at 2 gallons and rod at 5 gallons the speed crank was not worn but those rods get loose pretty quick i like nova cause they go 4 ever i still run my p5x on orig. box parts except front bearing and it has 20 gallons on it longevity = nova but the speed is also good motor if tooken care of in some mag i read the new hara edition comes with thicker bottom on con rod so wont where so quickly
Old 03-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imaxx21
sounds like you need to lean it out, the Speed is one of the most powerful engines with the best fuel economy ever made
Ohhhh Hell yea!!! The Speed Rocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.