Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!] >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Like Tree294Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]

Old 12-30-2008, 09:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Testors Model Master Lacquer System Limelight Green.

Paint the flat black on the outside of the body to keep it flat. Parma FasKolor, Krylon flat black or any lacquer flat black should work well.
hmmmm... Does this mean you can use the protective overspray skin on the outside of the body as a mask and just cut it away in the hood area? or did you tape (or latex) the outside of the body?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markf3x
hmmmm... Does this mean you can use the protective overspray skin on the outside of the body as a mask and just cut it away in the hood area? or did you tape (or latex) the outside of the body?
I did a "vinyl" roof on a body and cutting the outside mask worked great. You just have to really be careful and apply several very light coats(and let it dry in between coats) so the paint doesn't bleed under the film.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Speaking of vinyl roofs...

Instead of using paint, just use wide masking tape to make the vinyl top. Paint the tape the color you want. It will give the texture of a vinyl top and you can overlap the tape to make the seams.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lp3233
Would't it scratch easily though.
If you use actual 1:1 flat black primer on the outside of your car, with a couple coats, it will be very durable. The nice part is you can also touch it up easily if you have a bad wreck. But it is very hard to scratch off.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
If you use actual 1:1 flat black primer on the outside of your car, with a couple coats, it will be very durable. The nice part is you can also touch it up easily if you have a bad wreck. But it is very hard to scratch off.
Thanks, I will try that. Has anyone use Fasclear over paint to protect it from shoe-goo, tire compound and scratches or should I stick with Pactra RC clear?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

When I prep a body I normally do one of two things. When I wash it out I use gojo or some sort of pumice cleaner to scuff the inside while cleaning off the mold release (dont use on windows or on an areas where you want to use chrome. The second is if I use normal soap and water I spray the inside lightly with an adhesion promoter (make sure you mask your windows first).

I'll back the testors paint with pactra. More out of habit than being worried about traction compound. Thats a new one to me and good to know.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

I've found that Faskolor paints backed with krylon crystal clear [ 2 coats ] is very durable. I have never had it flake or peel, ever. I don't scuff the inside of the body either, just clean with soap and water. I used to use faskoat to back the paint, but it is expensive, and dirt and dust sticks to it a lot, and its hard to clean well. Too rubbery in my opinion. Krylon crystal clear works great! Wait 24 hours before applying the crystal clear.
Larry.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All the different paints I use I have never had the tire sauce cause a problem
and I paint with House of color from a company called Black Gold , Pactra ,PPG, Testors Lacquers, Spastix ,and Alclad paints
Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dodgeboy
All the different paints I use I have never had the tire sauce cause a problem
and I paint with House of color from a company called Black Gold , Pactra ,PPG, Testors Lacquers, Spastix ,and Alclad paints
I'm using Paragon tire sauce..

I was lazy and flipped my car over with body on to sauce it. I'd done this alot with my rubber tire sedan, but those tires don't have all the tread to channel the sauce to the bottom of tire and drip on body. Anyhow, where Paragon dripped on the body it completely removed Testors Model Masters Paint.. In my shop I later tested on scrap lexan with House of Kolor paint and saw the problem. Yes, I shouldn't sauce the car that way.... But, I also want to protect the body from tire sauce.. So far the answer seems to be Pactra.. I bought several rattle cans and they work fine.. I bought a jar of Pactra paint to airbrush and I'll test that next.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markf3x
I'm using Paragon tire sauce..

I was lazy and flipped my car over with body on to sauce it. I'd done this alot with my rubber tire sedan, but those tires don't have all the tread to channel the sauce to the bottom of tire and drip on body. Anyhow, where Paragon dripped on the body it completely removed Testors Model Masters Paint.. In my shop I later tested on scrap lexan with House of Kolor paint and saw the problem. Yes, I shouldn't sauce the car that way.... But, I also want to protect the body from tire sauce.. So far the answer seems to be Pactra.. I bought several rattle cans and they work fine.. I bought a jar of Pactra paint to airbrush and I'll test that next.
that could be it I don't sauce the tires with the body still on and I let them dry for 20 min before I put the body back on to go race
Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Paragon has a good amount of laquer thinner in it.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Another traction compound to be careful with is Zip-Free!. It will weaken lexan as well as causing it to fog up.

I've been guilty in the past of doping my tires on an upside-down car. Usually ends up bad with excess tire compound dripping into the body. Really sucks if it weakens the area around the body mounts. My first lesson with treaded tires and tire dope was with a Tamiya F201. Luckily that car used an open-wheeled body. Unlucky for me is when the excess tire compound sprayed into my face.

Another compund to be careful with is Goof Off that comes in a metal can. I made the mistake of trying to clean off decal residue and it hazed the body. The Goo Gone in a plastic bottle is safe for vinyl and plastic. Regardless, I would suggest testing adhesive removers on a scrap piece of lexan before using them on a body. I should add that Goof Off and Goo Gone are two different types of adhesive remover.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

I don't race anymore, but I just wanted to compliment EVERYONE on their cars. I'm really digging the muscle bodies. It's good to see a class that's trying to keep realism in the mix...Keep up the great work!!
BTW, here's my baby:
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-s7300959.jpg   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]-s7300961.jpg  
Old 01-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default nice

I'm diggin the window tint.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

getting ready to set up a VTA car, where can I get some circles and number kits?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.