Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ALTOONA RACEWAY FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Regular

Exclamation

Hi everyone, it was a pleasure meeting you guys and the short time I was up there I sure do miss it. Hopefully returning to Altoona soon with my GT2 or even a B44. I might be a future resident/racer of the area soon too.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by brian roeder
TC3mike,glad to meet you had fun hanging out and sharing info.remember anytime you come back your more than welcome to run my cars.
Thanks for the offer Brian, I might possibly need a motor for the weekend or something someday if I don't have one.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey Bob - Its great to know your out there some where. Make any right turns lately?

Icenuts - I have a question you could probably answer - Why are 'O' rings almost always red?

Mike - At least you'll know you'll have a track if or when you relocate back to Altoona.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Its too early to start thinking about what this winters carpet season, but, I am going to anyhow.

Tamiya is about to release an inexpensive F1 kit that work with foam tires. They should be everywhere by October.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DN
Old 07-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC3MIKE
Thanks for the offer Brian, I might possibly need a motor for the weekend or something someday if I don't have one.
anytime mike hope to see you soon.later
Old 07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Bob Rhodes....good to hear from you! How's the new addition? Did Steel City close it's doors?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

roeder,
i talked to joey and he said he dousnt have one of those spur gears...best of luck to you on finding one.i have found a 29 tooth pinion...its yours if you want it.

lmk,
matt
Old 07-12-2008, 02:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Wanting to know about 2wd Mod Class

I was wondering what mah packs you guys use in the 2wd Mod class. Do you guys have anyone out there using brushed motors? If not, no biggy, I'll still come out sometime soon.

What about membership? I haven't run my kit on a track yet and would like to see how it will do.

One thing though that i have to take care of before i come out is either stiffer springs or a little heavier shock oil. I built a dirt double in my back yard and can clear 5 foot easy with little trigger, but it bottoms out fairly easy and broke my rear shock tower. Ordering Graphite towers this weekend.

Last thing-My Evader BX has a stock 23 tooth pinion, and a 88 tooth spur. What kind of options are thier as far as speed down the straight away. It's fast already with the Venom racing Modified 13d motor, but i'd like a little more top end?

Any suggestions would be awesome as far as the springs,shock oil, and Gearing goes. right now i have stock springs/oil. Thanks
Till then, take it easy. Looking forward to running the track soon.

Any chance i'd be able to run my Warhead EVO SH.28 this summer/ Fall, that would be awesome? Thanks

Last edited by driftnut; 07-12-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Driftnut, You dont need a membership to race. The last time I checked the TRS website they were running a promotion - if its your first race, it will be free!

We usually just run all the electric cars together. When we have enough turnout we split it into 2wd and 4wd. Most of us use lipo batteries (for the convenience) but NiMh are still just as fast. Matt Dzaibo races a vintage RC10 buggy with NiMhs and brushed motors. I think he said he was running a 12 turn or 14 turn motor. Any batteries over 3000 Mahs capacity would be more than enough to make it through a 6 minute main.

Its very difficult to say what gearing or springs your car needs until you run a few laps.

The right tires are going to be the most important thing to have for your buggy. Most of us have been running M3/R3 Holeshots when the track is damp and Green compound Goosebumps when the track is dry/dusty.

We havent had a enough truggies or monster trucks to make a class for a month or so but if you did bring your Warhead, you could always run it in Sportsmans, which is also kind of like a run what ya brung kind of class.

If your not sure, just come down next Saturday and watch a race and ask some of the guys in the pits. You could probably even get a few practice laps in between rounds.

We are about as laid back a group of racers as you will ever find.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Sweet!!

Thanks Ed, I'll have to stop by and check it out. The New track looks awesome. Well, I guess i gotta get some higher Mah Batteries if i want to race but was planning on it here shortly so its all good. The tires im running now are the stock Duratrax Block pins in the rear and ribs in the front. They work good on my Mini dirt track when i damp it down, but in dusty/dry conditions, it spins out easily if i give it to much throttle.

Thats great theirs another brushed motor out thier, Gives me something, well someone to chase down and try to pass! lol. That probably wont happen for awhile as I've never raced the track before. I Seen theirs a guy with a MRC Buggy. Is that 4wd or 2wd. That things sweet.

Thanks for the Help ED- is that #6 buggy yours? Driver has skill for sure.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by driftnut
Thanks Ed, I'll have to stop by and check it out. The New track looks awesome. Well, I guess i gotta get some higher Mah Batteries if i want to race but was planning on it here shortly so its all good. The tires im running now are the stock Duratrax Block pins in the rear and ribs in the front. They work good on my Mini dirt track when i damp it down, but in dusty/dry conditions, it spins out easily if i give it to much throttle.

Thats great theirs another brushed motor out thier, Gives me something, well someone to chase down and try to pass! lol. That probably wont happen for awhile as I've never raced the track before. I Seen theirs a guy with a MRC Buggy. Is that 4wd or 2wd. That things sweet.

Thanks for the Help ED- is that #6 buggy yours? Driver has skill for sure.
yea ed runs that paint scheme on all his cars....he is a really smooth driver to..not always the guy that has mad horsepower,,but very good throttle control...

i also use nimh batts/brushed motors..

i have a choice to pick from.i might be able to help ya out there..

i also have some older batts that i dont use to much anymore...they are 3800..i could cycle them and you can try them out.i soldier my batteries direct though...so you would either have to get plugs or just soldier them direct..there is a few guys there that have soldier stations...so they could hook you up...

ed is right about your buggy///heck you might not even need to stiffen you shocks out...your double that you made in the back yard..it might be that the suspension bottoms out cause your over shooting the landing and when it does land it be like hard on the suspension.

as for gearing...you dont really need to play with changing spurs...but changing pinion gears will work just fine to fine tune the gearing for speed.

donw the straight is all ya need the speed...its really easy to overshoot any jump that they have there.

hope this information helps.

matt
Old 07-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if anyone is interested on aug 2nd at mcculloughs i am trying to get a large electric turnout for our 2wd open class and 4wd mod class last time i did this we had 12 4wd mods and 10 2wd's just giving you guys a little heads up if anyone is interested thanks
Old 07-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by biggins
if anyone is interested on aug 2nd at mcculloughs i am trying to get a large electric turnout for our 2wd open class and 4wd mod class last time i did this we had 12 4wd mods and 10 2wd's just giving you guys a little heads up if anyone is interested thanks
dont know if i will be doing any more racing or not.....if i do i will see about making the trip.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:27 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

u guys still do those spec race enduros up there. good videos to watch.

R
Old 07-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

That brings back some memories! I think you're referring to the Spec TT01 silver can motor class that we ran during the winter 06-07 carpet season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBurA0erpNs

We usually had 10+ cars competing for $50-100 payouts running on a small track doing 11-12 second laps. You had to run a certain number of laps during regular club races to even qualify for the enduro. That made for some great racing or carnage depending on your results. It wasnt uncommon to find 5-10 dog bones laying out on the track after an enduro.

We tried a TT01 enduro on an oval this past winter and that was fun too, but, I really liked the road course events. Its some of the most fun I've ever had racing any kind of RC car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.