Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Truggy Choices

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sonicm21
i have a nitrage 5.2 and have hardly any trouble with it,love the power! it eats up 30 - 40 foot gravel pits no trouble,i have thrashed it round bmx tracks etc personally i like it and it seems to be reliable too
But have you raced it? Bashing around is very different from racing. Bashing is fun but racing is more fun My two cents.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

a Nitrage would'nt last more then a couple quali's on the track...its Not a Racer...PERIOD....i would forsee bad breakage...expecially in the hands of a Rookie..which are the only guys who would actually buy that truck
Old 06-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

How about an Ofna/Hobao Hyper ST?
Attached Thumbnails Truggy Choices-22042008430.jpg  
Old 06-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Integra
Jammin Mugen Losi kyosho....in no specific order...i would'nt trust a LSP as far as i could throw it....nor a Nitrage or a Mutilator...ive seen em all in action and imo they arent "Race bred" truggy's....there RTR level stuff that is Guarenteed to break the second u try and competitively race it....a Full out Race Set up truggy is gonna fetch at Least 1000$.
I totally agree. Also, you never wanna bash your racer. That should be a seperate ride altogether. My 8T started as an rtr. I now have it fully race out. It was fine stock minus the servos and shock caps. This hobby is Awesome but very $$$ when staring out Tools, parts, gas, etc. You'll always need parts especially when racing. I have almost everytjhing that could break or wear out extra. Once your there though it becomes cheaper Have fun and RACE
Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Dont get a rtr, big mistake you will just be spending $ getting it to be as good as the kit version instead of tires. If you are just starting out I suggest getting a kit and go on ebay and get a new cheap engine from a rtr if you want or get a sport motor from 1 of the better companies. I run the Cen matrix arena and have been very happy with the durability and it is not too expensive. I would recommend it to anyone and the Hyper st is a good trug also not saying good or bad about any of the others mentioned I ust dont know about them.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by malik
Dont get a rtr, big mistake you will just be spending $ getting it to be as good as the kit version instead of tires. If you are just starting out I suggest getting a kit and go on ebay and get a new cheap engine from a rtr if you want or get a sport motor from 1 of the better companies. I run the Cen matrix arena and have been very happy with the durability and it is not too expensive. I would recommend it to anyone and the Hyper st is a good trug also not saying good or bad about any of the others mentioned I ust dont know about them.
Kit for sure if you can afford it. But here's the break down.

Kit let's say $450
Engine ( a cheapy) $150
Servos can't skimp so $230 including both
Digital controller with reciever $200
Starter box $80
Battery packs for the box $40
Reciever packs need two one for back up $40
Chargers for the packs cheap ones $80 for two.

That's just the tip of the iceberg my friend. 8t RTR comes with the digital transmitter and reciever. Change out the servos and shock caps to start out and you'll be racing. Always go with the kit if you can. When I bought mine I had no idea I would be racing it. But I got bit by the bug.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

get whatever i have!

I drive the best cars!

Chicks dig Losi's!

OCM Is awesome!

Mugen HANDS DOWN!

Kyosho. PERIOD!

Jammin ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK!

Tamiya!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! +1!!!!

Hobao! They win!

I'm a post whore!! Alriiiiiiight!

go to Headrushhobbies to buy all your stuff! I advertise in forums every chance i get!!!!

CEN rulez!

AE PwnZ!

Caster makes the best truggy! You should get a Caster!!!!!

I hate life!!!! So i bought a Hotbodies LSP!!!

DAMN THESE THREADS TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (97%+)

^ you forgot Associated

oh wait no you didn't! nice list!!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Crim3Wav3
get whatever i have!

I drive the best cars!

Chicks dig Losi's!

OCM Is awesome!

Mugen HANDS DOWN!

Kyosho. PERIOD!

Jammin ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK!

Tamiya!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! +1!!!!

Hobao! They win!

I'm a post whore!! Alriiiiiiight!

go to Headrushhobbies to buy all your stuff! I advertise in forums every chance i get!!!!

CEN rulez!

AE PwnZ!

Caster makes the best truggy! You should get a Caster!!!!!

I hate life!!!! So i bought a Hotbodies LSP!!!

DAMN THESE THREADS TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!
You should smoke more off that pipe that represents your avatar. YOUR MAD
Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by slowpoke51
How about an Ofna/Hobao Hyper ST?
Hyper ST Pro gets my vote.

Tons of steering, very stable, and super durable, and it's one of the most affordable truggies on the market...

This thread is typical...Everyone has there preference...

Good luck with whatever you decide on...

Have Fun...Burn Nitro...
Old 06-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go with what appeals to you the most and in your price range. Nothing like owning something that you think looks like dog poo even though it handles great. Would you drive a pinto if it handled and acclerating like really good?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jab917
Does anyone here have a Hpi Hellfire, A Tamiya Nitrage 5.2, or A Ofna mutilator? I was thinking about getting a truggy and im not sure which one would be the best in reliability, fun factor, starting, and maintenance so if any body has one of these vehicles some feedback would be great. thanks
Answer:

D) None of the above. Don't waste your money. Those are all money pits. RTR stands for "Ready To Replace."

Go find a used "pro quality" kit. A worn-out, beat-up, out-of-date Mugen, Kyosho, Xray, Jammin, Hyper, etc will STILL be better by an order of magnitude than a ready to run.

If you absolutely HAVE to get a ready to run, go get a Jammin or Hyper. I'd say Losi because they're closer to the "pro" version than any, but they've got a reliability issue with the rear ring and pinion...

With the Jammin you'll have aluminum radio tray and center diff top plate instead of carbon, and thinner, flat plate front top plate and shock towers instead of the good CNC machined stuff. Those parts are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace as you need to, and the original ones are not TOO bad. Otherwise it's solid. The radio is pretty much junk, but could be used for a while. Ditto for the pipe. Not sure about the engine. The servos are the worst part, you'd need to replace those virtually immediately.

Here is what happens though: $450 or so for the RTR if you can find a good deal... then $230 or so to replace the servos. The radio is AM and doesn't have all the adjustments of a "good" radio... you'll want to replace that soon. Figure another $250-400. The shock towers and top plate are weaker than the pro version... figure another $75 or so from ebay to replace those as they break (and they will!) The engines in RTR cars are not as good, but you should get a few gallons through it... but you can put that off for a while. The RTR will give you something to play with while you save your money for upgrades... but it is nowhere near competitive in stock form. You'll spend a little more over time starting with the RTR (about an extra $100-150 is all though) so that isn't TOO bad.

Now, as for the ones you listed... you get to buy all that stuff, plus replace more broken parts, more frequently, that are harder to find... then you get to buy a new, better truck when you realize we weren't yanking your chain and you wasted every penny that was spent on it. Don't do that to yourself. I've BTDT when I started. Just don't even think about it! In the long run you will end up spending MORE money. You'll be out the cost of what you bought, plus whatever parts you replaced as they broke, and then you will either realize that we're telling you the right thing and go buy a GOOD truck/engine/pipe/servos/radio, or get so frustrated you will quit this hobby entirely. Buying one of those cheap, low-end RTR vehicles is like using your money for toilet paper. They have a lot more in common with the toys at WalMart and Radio Shack than with a real race truggy.

Ok, enough ranting.

The Xray, Mugen, and Kyosho truggies will be the least work to maintain. The Jammin and Hyper are close behind them... still solid! The Losi is a little faster to wear parts, probably the fastest of the "pro quality" kits, but it is an awesome truck. I don't know about AE, but I've heard good things... I'm sure I forgot to list someone's favorite car brand (or some of them I left off intentionally) so don't get upset.

I've personally owned an OFNA Ravager (basically like the mutilator but a buggy not a truggy- HUGE POS!) a Mugen MBX5 ProSpec (buggy) a Losi 8ight (buggy) Jammin X1CR (buggy) and Kyosho 777 WC (buggy)

I LIKE the Jammin the best of them. The Losi was the most fun (and hardest) to drive. The Kyosho and Jammin are pretty similar- Kyosho parts quality is a little better, but the Jammin is a little easier to drive, and the parts are significantly cheaper. The Mugen was the most stable and easiest to drive, and the toughest. I personally think in the BUGGY world there isn't a better beginner car than the Mugen... and I suspect the same might be true in Truggies.

Hope that helps, and hope I didn't piss anyone off TOO much.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Tech Adept

I think your best bet would be to order Associated's new RC8-T.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Answer:

D) None of the above. Don't waste your money. Those are all money pits. RTR stands for "Ready To Replace."

Go find a used "pro quality" kit. A worn-out, beat-up, out-of-date Mugen, Kyosho, Xray, Jammin, Hyper, etc will STILL be better by an order of magnitude than a ready to run.

If you absolutely HAVE to get a ready to run, go get a Jammin or Hyper. I'd say Losi because they're closer to the "pro" version than any, but they've got a reliability issue with the rear ring and pinion...

With the Jammin you'll have aluminum radio tray and center diff top plate instead of carbon, and thinner, flat plate front top plate and shock towers instead of the good CNC machined stuff. Those parts are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace as you need to, and the original ones are not TOO bad. Otherwise it's solid. The radio is pretty much junk, but could be used for a while. Ditto for the pipe. Not sure about the engine. The servos are the worst part, you'd need to replace those virtually immediately.

Here is what happens though: $450 or so for the RTR if you can find a good deal... then $230 or so to replace the servos. The radio is AM and doesn't have all the adjustments of a "good" radio... you'll want to replace that soon. Figure another $250-400. The shock towers and top plate are weaker than the pro version... figure another $75 or so from ebay to replace those as they break (and they will!) The engines in RTR cars are not as good, but you should get a few gallons through it... but you can put that off for a while. The RTR will give you something to play with while you save your money for upgrades... but it is nowhere near competitive in stock form. You'll spend a little more over time starting with the RTR (about an extra $100-150 is all though) so that isn't TOO bad.

Now, as for the ones you listed... you get to buy all that stuff, plus replace more broken parts, more frequently, that are harder to find... then you get to buy a new, better truck when you realize we weren't yanking your chain and you wasted every penny that was spent on it. Don't do that to yourself. I've BTDT when I started. Just don't even think about it! In the long run you will end up spending MORE money. You'll be out the cost of what you bought, plus whatever parts you replaced as they broke, and then you will either realize that we're telling you the right thing and go buy a GOOD truck/engine/pipe/servos/radio, or get so frustrated you will quit this hobby entirely. Buying one of those cheap, low-end RTR vehicles is like using your money for toilet paper. They have a lot more in common with the toys at WalMart and Radio Shack than with a real race truggy.

Ok, enough ranting.

The Xray, Mugen, and Kyosho truggies will be the least work to maintain. The Jammin and Hyper are close behind them... still solid! The Losi is a little faster to wear parts, probably the fastest of the "pro quality" kits, but it is an awesome truck. I don't know about AE, but I've heard good things... I'm sure I forgot to list someone's favorite car brand (or some of them I left off intentionally) so don't get upset.

I've personally owned an OFNA Ravager (basically like the mutilator but a buggy not a truggy- HUGE POS!) a Mugen MBX5 ProSpec (buggy) a Losi 8ight (buggy) Jammin X1CR (buggy) and Kyosho 777 WC (buggy)

I LIKE the Jammin the best of them. The Losi was the most fun (and hardest) to drive. The Kyosho and Jammin are pretty similar- Kyosho parts quality is a little better, but the Jammin is a little easier to drive, and the parts are significantly cheaper. The Mugen was the most stable and easiest to drive, and the toughest. I personally think in the BUGGY world there isn't a better beginner car than the Mugen... and I suspect the same might be true in Truggies.

Hope that helps, and hope I didn't piss anyone off TOO much.
Nice write up BUUUUT, I haven't had any problems with my rear pinion or ring Maybe they fixed the problem. Like I said earlier, started as an RTR now competes with the best of them. As far as wear,,,,, just tires and front drive shaft I've replaced once. Just get one of the brands mentioned in this section and have fun.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

I looked at just about every truggy they make, talked to everyone at my local track, and both the local crack houses. I got so many different opinions, the X-ray guys said get X-ray, the Mugen guys said Mugen, the Kyosho guys said get Kyosho, and so on.

I have only had a T-maxx and a Revo before and never raced, I was not willing to spend a grand + on some thing, I had never done before. I looked at the RTR Truggys, as much info in the different forums as I could find. After two months, I end up with a Losi 8T RTR.
I had it for 6 days, and race it in the sportsman class at our local track, and won first place in the A main and TQed. I have 9 gallons on the RTR now, and have abused it. It has held up to everything my son and I have dished out. I replaced the throttle servo at ½ a gallon, the rear diff died at about the 4-gallon mark, I added the aluminum bearing inserts when I replaced it, no signs of it going out now, after 5 gallons. I have not replaced anything else other than the normal maintenance items clutch, bearings ect.
In fact, I like it so well I purchased an 8T race roller last week.

I do wish I had bought the Race Roller or the kit first, but it worked out, as my son has taken over the RTR

Just my 2 cents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.