Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 01:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by Intelligentsia
What motor are you running?
"Old School" Johnson...4 vent (seems to turn more RPM than the new 2 vent versions)
Old 07-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: sad times

Originally posted by madjack
GTMilenko,

I'm surprised that your motor does not get that hot at 4.6? I recently raced in a TCS GT3 class and those who geared below 4.8 were slugs off the corner...and VERY hot by the end of their heat. (I was geared at 5.1 and my motor was border line as far as temp goes) As for performance, I would consider the car fast, Qual. time were good enough to have grid me mid pack in the A main in the GT2 class (24' stock).

I wonder... are we calculating final drive in the same manner? (spur/pinnion x internal ratio = final drive ratio)

As for the track, it was large with good grip. (see pic)
that track is pretty big compared to the ones i run on.
i'm surprized it doesn't get hot aswell, its usaully pretty cold were i race maybe that has something to do with it? we run 5min heats.maybe its my ESC? i have a GT7 and use the most punchy setting(the 4-cell setting). i have also managed to make my drive line very free. does braking make it hot? because i don't do much braking.
i use 48 pitch gears, here how it goes 66/37 x 2.6 =4.64(rounded off)
when i raced on saturday i seemed to have more punch out of the corners and much much more speed down the straight than every one i was racing!(every one had johnson's)
Old 07-13-2003, 04:11 PM
Tech Addict

At the TCS track I would have though 4.6 would have been easily acheived, the track looks big and flowing except for one hair pin.

It also depends very much on your driving style, if you can maintain a smooth flowing rythm then the motor will not be hot, if you have a more agressive stop go driving style then gearing like that will kill the motor.

Tony
Old 07-13-2003, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

heres a pic of the track i raced on this weekend.
i know its not the best pic but you get the idea.
thats with the silver car btw.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB-Evolution III-my-rc-0026.jpg  
Old 07-13-2003, 05:25 PM
Tech Addict

Hey,

Any of you Pros out there with the Evo III Surikarn have a setup for a high bite asphalt track?

If so please let us know.
Old 07-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

I actually didn't run anything when I was in Auckland. Only picked up the hobby since I came to Singapore. Now I run mainly Tamiya and use Tamiya Stock Type-T (which are 23 turn motors). Also have 2 brushless systems - a Novak and a Schulze. The cars, batteries, motors, electronics etc are far more affordable over here in Singapore than back in NZ. Do you and your fellow racers buy your stuff locally or do you purchase from overseas (like HK and Japan?)

I have a five month old baby now so have not had any track time for over 2 1/2 months. (Only get to build my cars up for display when my baby is sleeping).

Originally posted by GTMilenko
thanx.
i believe it is 27 turn(but not really sure", its a johnson 540, we all use these motors in our "open stock class"
i think they go pretty well,heaps of torque i gear it a 4.5 and they seem to last about 3months before they start losing alot of perfomance.
i don't think anyone is aloud to run 23turn motors(unless in mod) there is a "pro stock class" but i'm pretty sure they are all 27turn.

what did you run when you where in auckland?
Old 07-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by KiwiKid
I actually didn't run anything when I was in Auckland. Only picked up the hobby since I came to Singapore. Now I run mainly Tamiya and use Tamiya Stock Type-T (which are 23 turn motors). Also have 2 brushless systems - a Novak and a Schulze. The cars, batteries, motors, electronics etc are far more affordable over here in Singapore than back in NZ. Do you and your fellow racers buy your stuff locally or do you purchase from overseas (like HK and Japan?)

I have a five month old baby now so have not had any track time for over 2 1/2 months. (Only get to build my cars up for display when my baby is sleeping).
haha, i know the feeling, i'm a full time dad as well. my son is 15 months old.hes into RC aswell, he marshalls my mini-z, and every time he see's my EVO he goes "ooowwww"
i order ALL my gear from rainbowten and hobbymania, but everyone else buy's locally and pays double the prices(dumb ass's) i hate my country, can't wait to get outta here! the taxes are crazy! the're even bringing in what they call fat tax! you get taxed for buying macdoanlds and BK its maddness!
congrat's on your new baby btw.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:07 PM
Tech Adept

Hey, what gearing would you guys use on a short track with a p2k2 with the standard 90t spur?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

That is crazy. It is one of the reasons why I'm now living and working overseas. Do customs charge you GST when you ship stuff in? That would be tragic given GST is 12.5%.

Dream of one day coming back and setting up a decent racing track in Auckland - could be a while though.

Btw, I know what you mean about your son going "ooowww". My daughter is only five months old but loves to read rc magazines with me. (My wife thinks I'm imagining things but sometimes when my daughter is crying, all I need to do is open up a page with some nicely painted up cars and she will immediately stop and stare. I hope she will take after her dad and join in the hobby when she gets a little older.)

Originally posted by GTMilenko
haha, i know the feeling, i'm a full time dad as well. my son is 15 months old.hes into RC aswell, he marshalls my mini-z, and every time he see's my EVO he goes "ooowwww"
i order ALL my gear from rainbowten and hobbymania, but everyone else buy's locally and pays double the prices(dumb ass's) i hate my country, can't wait to get outta here! the taxes are crazy! the're even bringing in what they call fat tax! you get taxed for buying macdoanlds and BK its maddness!
congrat's on your new baby btw.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:59 PM
Tech Regular

That is crazy. It is one of the reasons why I'm now living and working overseas. Do customs charge you GST when you ship stuff in? That would be tragic given GST is 12.5%.

Dream of one day coming back and setting up a decent racing track in Auckland - could be a while though.

Btw, I know what you mean about your son going "ooowww". My daughter is only five months old but loves to read rc magazines with me. (My wife thinks I'm imagining things but sometimes when my daughter is crying, all I need to do is open up a page with some nicely painted up cars and she will immediately stop and stare. I hope she will take after her dad and join in the hobby when she gets a little older.)
man! the way we are going our kids are going to be pro's by the time there are 10!

customs don't seem to tax me as long as the package is under NZ$500 in value. my friend got a t-maxx from the US and they held his package until he paid NZ$90 gst. but even with that and NZ$150 shipping it still cost NZ$600 less than the local shop charges for them!
Old 07-14-2003, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Customs

you guys are still lucky!! over here in P.I. you pay 5% custom duties!!! Plus+++++ anywere from 10-20% tax from corrupt officials!!! that is f you are unlucky!!!

that is wy I always ask the Hobby SHop to remove the product from the package so they would know it is just junk!!!

If ever a kit comes in for me-- I guess I have to pay 10% TAX plus 10%vat, storage fee and corruption fee!! hehehehehe

BUt not all!! some are really straight and honest and you just pay aout US$0.75 for doc stamps !!
Peace to all!!!
Old 07-14-2003, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

Now I run mainly Tamiya and use Tamiya Stock Type-T (which are 23 turn motors).
What kind of gearing do you use with the 23 type-T on your track. Do you use Tamiya tires too? Any specific breakin needed on the type-T?

Coop
Old 07-14-2003, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Customs

Originally posted by lem2
you guys are still lucky!! over here in P.I. you pay 5% custom duties!!! Plus+++++ anywere from 10-20% tax from corrupt officials!!! that is f you are unlucky!!!

that is wy I always ask the Hobby SHop to remove the product from the package so they would know it is just junk!!!

If ever a kit comes in for me-- I guess I have to pay 10% TAX plus 10%vat, storage fee and corruption fee!! hehehehehe

BUt not all!! some are really straight and honest and you just pay aout US$0.75 for doc stamps !!
Peace to all!!!
man thats terrible! i feel your pain
Old 07-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by NMRCDude
Hey, what gearing would you guys use on a short track with a p2k2 with the standard 90t spur?

Thanks
On a tight track I would run somewhere around 6.3-6.7 over all gearing with the P2K2.

That's a 35,36,37 pinion with a 90 spur.

Tony
Old 07-14-2003, 05:49 PM
Tech Regular

Hi,

On a EVO III, I don't know because I've never run a stock motor in it. (In fact, I've not even run it yet.)

In a TA-04R, I used to run between 6.2 to 6.5 on a tight track. Used Tamiya B2s mainly. No specific break-in for the motor.

Originally posted by gcooper
What kind of gearing do you use with the 23 type-T on your track. Do you use Tamiya tires too? Any specific breakin needed on the type-T?

Coop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.