Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X >

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Old 03-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Tech Regular

jimmymac, i use a kimbrough servo saver, run 19t and it hold ups very well (# 201 i think).

what about the metal front piece from rc square (like in jilles car posted earlier?)

just thought i'd mention these as they work well and more economical than buying a spare servo.

on the other hand, i have a 2413 servo on order, will let you know about the gear when i get it (unless someone else answers first)
Old 03-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Anyways, is the KO low profile servo all metal gear? Or does if have a plastic idler gear like on the Futaba s9550?
my 2365 from Ko has, if i remember it correct, all metal gears... but i think you should only worry about the first few gears cause they cope all the torque and wear. on my servo's its always the 2nd gear that breaks down or wears...

about the servo saver, well, friend of mine had a real sloppy trf one and if you swap the long black one with the short silver ones maybe you can fill the gap that you created with the slop... it doensnt fit perfect but if you clamp on the short ones Over the long one you can get it real tight... maybe you could try this out... offcourse you should bend the long one a little so its a little smaller on the gap.. if you know what i mean..

GL

Mark
Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello,

Square STA-36FS Aluminum C-Hubs 4° Caster will be available end of the next week. I have heard, that Tamiya has problems with the 54031 due to differences between Left and Right one (which is not really good).

The Servosaver Jilles is using is TGE-22TB. There is also TGE-23TB but this will be the shorter version.

Square is also planning to make 0° Rear Aluminum Hubs. Maybe they'll be released on april.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the input guys. I may order the KO later on. I did use the Kimbrough #201 black saver before. But myself and a few friends of mine found that it weakens or softens up as well. So I switched away from it. I'm just gonna go direct again. I love the precise feel of it. I feel more connected to the car that way. I'll just have to deal with $18 servo gear sets and $5 steering rods I guess if I make a mistake.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Question for Square, on the new steering knuckles. What does the new 3rd hole for the steering link do to the steering? Or how does it affect steering?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Probably old news, but way to go 416 and the team drivers!

http://ets.redrc.net/2008/03/podium-...ut-for-tamiya/

Now I can shut up those guys at my track that tells me "it's just another 415" lol
Old 03-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the input guys. I may order the KO later on. I did use the Kimbrough #201 black saver before. But myself and a few friends of mine found that it weakens or softens up as well. So I switched away from it. I'm just gonna go direct again. I love the precise feel of it. I feel more connected to the car that way. I'll just have to deal with $18 servo gear sets and $5 steering rods I guess if I make a mistake.
Lunsford make some Ti turnbuckles that are a suitable length for the steering links (can't remember the length exactly, but they fit fine...they are on my car ) and as they have a lifetime warrenty against bending... well you get the idea

Still have yet to bugger a servo, the 9550's do seem strong enough, even with the plastic idealer... I guess as suggested esle where, it's because they take the minimum of Torque. Fwiw, I was told that the 2143 was a OEM of the 9550... so may have the plastic idealer, but not having taken one apart couldn't tell you if that is the case or not.

HiH
Ed
Old 03-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default lipo

planning to get lipo. what is the right or the max size (size and capacity) of lipo that can fit to 416 without any mod?
Old 03-19-2008, 01:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by steveonamission
Anyone have the short arms in stock, made a big order of shiny stuff recently, but they havent got the short arms in stock, tried rcmodel and rcmarket with no luck.

Any help would be appricated.
back in stock la !
Old 03-19-2008, 01:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fadzli
planning to get lipo. what is the right or the max size (size and capacity) of lipo that can fit to 416 without any mod?
my friend used Orion 3600Mah is fit !
Old 03-19-2008, 03:27 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fadzli
Top deck clearance is 25mm. So any lipo under that size like Trinity Li-Pro 4500, Any Orion, SMC, etc. Basically anything Roar Legal should fit. I currently use the SMC 4000 pack. It's 20.5mm tall. I also use the PPD stainless steel plate under that. And on top of the stainless plate I use a lead slab that is about 1.3mm thick. All together it weighs about the same as a 4600 nimh pack. All the weight is hidden under the pack. So it doesn't look ugly. Plus all the weight is down low where it counts. Not hanging off the side of the pack or sitting on top of it.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Well going with what Ed told me a few weeks back, I'm gonna dump the servo saver and go direct. Either the stock saver clamps wear down too quickly. Or they are just plain weak. I think I'm loosing a lot of steering from this. And the car is not centering well anymore. Now I can grab the tires with the car "ON". And turn the tires left to right with little effort while the servo remains straight. So I'm going back to old school and running direct. Now I just need to buy a spare servo.

Some of the tracks I run on are deadly! This past weekend I've seen XRay, Corally, Schumacher, AE, Avid, and Yokomo (?) all busted up and broken off of turn one. Only cars that didn't break was my 416 and a JRXS. And I did some of my own corner bashing! Terrell can vouch for that! Teach you to laugh at me!!!

Anyways, is the KO low profile servo all metal gear? Or does if have a plastic idler gear like on the Futaba s9550?

Yes I learned my lesson about laughing on the stand, it cost me an excellent run.....I think the last time I open my KO LP they were all metal gears in the casing.....there could have been one plastic. But I would not recommend going straight on the servo, the Kimbrough saver seem to hold up well. That Deadly track cost me $100 buck in parts. I am amazed the beating a 416 can take, less the stock caster blocks. Once I change the Lables on the 416 I will bring it back to the track. I am pretty happy with the set up.....
Old 03-19-2008, 04:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Although Lipos are the easy way to go and they are getting better by the day, IMO they still are not as Fast as NiHM, I have 28c Lipo with 7.38 Ave voltage(these are good numbers) yet they seem to be a be alittle slower than my 1.22 SHO Orion and they are no where close to my 1.245 SHO Orion or 1.244 IB Associated. The difference maybe a 10th or two. If the 416 allows with proper weight go with 5000 28c it will crank out more voltage for the discharge. Performance changes are noticable with lipo packs mah/C ratings, so choose wisely.

And a mean set of tires can take you there
Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Please post when the hubs are available - thanks

Originally Posted by sakaguchinet
Hello,

Square STA-36FS Aluminum C-Hubs 4° Caster will be available end of the next week. I have heard, that Tamiya has problems with the 54031 due to differences between Left and Right one (which is not really good).

The Servosaver Jilles is using is TGE-22TB. There is also TGE-23TB but this will be the shorter version.

Square is also planning to make 0° Rear Aluminum Hubs. Maybe they'll be released on april.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Do you have any idea whats wrong with the uprights? they look fine to me.. seeing as i just bought 3 pairs. The only complaint I have is the plastic is too hard and not quite as tough as the 415 parts. Perhaps it's for warmer climates. otherwise the car is AWESOME ! The larger bearings roll for ever and the little refinements make this 416 top notch .... Best T/C ever! Way to go Tamiya. Seems theres not very many REAL RUBBER cars out there any more. The onslaught of foam on touring cars is so rediculous. The cost of foam and the rate that I can burn it off warrants me running rubber , no matter what everyone else thinks. FOAM IS FOR PAN CARS GUYS!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.