Wiki Posts
Search

Starter Box questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Starter Box questions...

Hey fellas, I'm a little new in the whole 8th scale thing. I bought a Cen Matrix TR, and just bought a starter box for it. Its an Ofna True start with dual 750 motors in it. Do I have to run a gel cell or a lead acid battery with it or can I run two stick pack batteries?

If I have to run lead acid or gel cell, can someone give me the pros and cons of lead acid and gel cell to batteries...or am I completely clueless and those are just terms for the same type of battery?

Thanks!

Last edited by Momo5; 03-16-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Momo5
Hey fellas, I'm a little new in the whole 8th scale thing. I bought a Cen Matrix TR, and just bought a starter box for it. Its an Ofna True start with dual 750 motors in it. Do I have to run a gel cell or a lead acid battery with it or can I run two stick pack batteries?

If I have to run lead acid or gel cell, can someone give me the pros and cons of lead acid and gel cell to batteries...or am I completely clueless and those are just terms for the same type of battery?

Thanks!
I go for stick packs and you get more voltage 14.4 to 12v.
A gel cell is that got gel inside.
A lead Acid battery has acid and is common in cars and etc.
A SLA is what you want (sealed Lead Acid) does not spill and can be used anyway you wish to install it.
One thing to remember is that you cant charge it with a ordinary charger. It has to be designed to charge SLA's. They cant be charged to fast 1 amp i do mine at. The reason is the battery is sealed and the gasses cant escape when charged at a higher amp. They start to bulge and deform can even explode.
My charger backs the chrge off to a little trickle to maintaine the voltage.
SLA's dont like be left with no charge. I use mine to charge my RX pack at the track and glow stick if needed.
Hope this helps Mark.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

So overall which one would you recommend?

Also whats they weight differences between a lead acid and a gel cell battery?
Old 03-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Stick packs...
Old 03-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

the gell is alot heaver so most people go with stick to make it easier to carry the starter box around and the stick packs will do fine but I have found the gell cell will last alot longer so thats what I run.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I run the same exact setup with a gel cell. Here is the rundown, stick packs are light, however the do not last as long between charges as a gel cell and the also dump without warning. Meaning you could be stranded on pit lane with a dead starter. Also NIMH batteries require a little more attention the gel cells. NIMH batteries require you store them with a charge if you are going to leave them up for any period of time. I personally enjoy my gel cell, yes it is heavier but thats about it. No maintenance and months between charges. I hardly ever charge mine, plus it comes with its own charger and is by far much cheaper then NIMH packs. The major drawback tho is the weight. But its not that bad, IMHO.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

I have the same setup and went with stick packs. I like the extra power. Fair warning it will take some doing to get the Matrix TR to fit up to this box. You a couple of options. If you need help lemm know.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run a gel cell in all of my start boxes because of the run time or I forget some times before the night of the race to charge it, and sometimes there a guy out there that has a box and it dumps his battery and he needs a start, favors do other favor like pit for your main.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys. Turns out the starter box I won off of ebay actually has duel 550 motors...his typo. So I'm now looking for a new one. Looks like I'll go with stick packs. Thanks again....