Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
monster pro+XXXS GP+socal = gearing? >

monster pro+XXXS GP+socal = gearing?

monster pro+XXXS GP+socal = gearing?

Old 01-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Suspended

Default monster pro+XXXS GP+socal = gearing?

im assuming most of u guys know how tight the track at socal is.. i have the XXXS GP w/ monster pro and currently using RR 24 pinion and stock 90T 48P spur. since the monster pro has high RPM, what pinion should i use to get good use of these RPM? so far i have 6.9 FDR.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

I have been told to drop 2-3 teeth on the pinion and work from there. . .
Old 01-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I gear my monsters anywhere from 7.1 to 7.6. My car is the red and white Esso Ultron or the blue Calsonic...so you can judge for yourself how slow (hehe) my gearing is
Old 01-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Don't believe what rtypec says, all he worries about is gambling. However, there is some truth to his FDR.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah Neil. So the bet is on! After TSR6 posts some early results we can see we sit. I spoke with the TRF guys today and it appears that DJ's roaching bevel gears in his Evo3 doh! But then again, extra flashing on one tooth would be considered stripped. Such a perfectionist.

As far as the Monster, cut the comm, align the brush hoods, and center the comm with shims. When you've done that try black springs on both sides, 4499's (no modifications) and start gearing at 7.6. The motor likes to wind out so don't be afraid to let it. If you need more top end, keep gearing up
Old 01-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Suspended

anyone using losi pinions? they're so damn heavy! i was using losi 23 before then i switched to robinson racing 24 and seemed to went fast. i dunno maybe i went a tooth higher? i have used, 7.2 and 6.9. im about to try 8.2 this week to see how much acceleration i can get with this monster. in my opinion, monster stock is not suited for socal track. anyone using 8+ FDR?
Old 01-12-2003, 01:40 AM
Suspended

so anyone using 8+ FDR?
Old 01-12-2003, 01:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

I tried running a Monster at SoCal back in mid-November when the track layout was really tight. I couldn't beat my P2K2 lap times no matter what gearing I used. Didn't pick the perfect testing day I had to compete for track time w/Novak Brushless photo day & a dog on a skateboard.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Suspended

in my opinion, monster pro is useless on socal track. im thinking of getting either MVP or P2k2. at socal we need torque not high rpm. so i might as well get me a torque motor that can pull higher gear at ease. anyone have experience with P2K2 and MVP?
Old 01-12-2003, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Hell if you don't want it, I'll buy it off you for 10 bucks
Old 01-12-2003, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by maxboost
in my opinion, monster pro is useless on socal track. im thinking of getting either MVP or P2k2. at socal we need torque not high rpm. so i might as well get me a torque motor that can pull higher gear at ease. anyone have experience with P2K2 and MVP?
It's what Michael May has been running for a while and his motors have been ballistic. . . I've seen a couple of other very fast people running them. . .

I hate the MVP - it gets too hot to be any good.

P2K2 was good, but I still like the P2K better
Old 01-12-2003, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I don't know if this will help but I race carpet and thats very high bite like socal,if not more so.We are gearing this motor @ 7.5-8 final and its ballistic and super torquey because of the low gearing.On my evo3 I ran a 96/33 which brought the final to 7.53 and it was insane fast.Socal has no real long straight correct? mostly sweeping turns?Let say this is weird to me to gear like this but it works great.the motor came alive all of the sudden and wasnt freakin hot either.Was almost as fast as my 19turn.WEIRD!

l8er
Old 01-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

The monster is the way to go for touring. May's motors are very fast, and with some help, yours can be too. You just have to ask around for speed secrets, you'll probably have a hard time finding someone who will give it up, but you will find one.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Default Monster Stock

Guys;

Try the RED spring on BOTH sides. On my Dyno it was good for over a 1 watt increase in power.
I haven't experimented with brushes yet so there may be more to gain. I'm also going to re-check the armature balance as I think it is off. Should be able to reduce the spool-up time with a correctly balanced armature.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i just got a monster. started with a 7.2 and it was pretty blah.
kept adding teeth to the pinion till i hit 61/24 (6.6 ratio)and its rockin. whats weird is that you can actually see the car spurting forward and slowing, spurting, slowing... I guess I'm almost at the sweet spot for it. Oh, I got a normal one and just added red/green combo like it says on the box. when i rebuild a while from now I'll see what tips you guys got.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.