Wiki Posts
Search

Spektrum

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Bummer....

I'm really hoping these are isolated incidents, but the frequency that the same problems are being reported over and over again definitely has me leary of picking one of these up. If I trashed several hundred dollars worth of equipment because of a manufacturing flaw, I'd probably expect a little more than "sorry, we're working out the bugs".

Maybe I shouldn't mention that I've never had any problems with the Novak synthesized modules and receivers
Old 11-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

You guys don't even want to know the sad stories from the 5th scale world..... try all the above results in a $3,500.00 car. Our trip to Lostallo Switzerland for the IFMAR worlds this summer was a sight to see.... Let just say we brought home (8) complete sets just with us to send back to Horizon for repair. Some of our european friends were trying to saver a buck on shipping.

This technology is cool but not yet sorted out, and the consequense on those who embrase new technology is friken costly.....
Old 11-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Tech Rookie

V12, Mine works great until the car rolls (or is helped ) while driving. static rollovers no problems, hit the board no probles, roll over = shut down.
At our track we have 1 spectrum in a helios that has no issues, the other 5 all have problems ranging from mild like mine to severe (touch the board or rub fenders and shut down). there are ALL current top of the line speed controls having problems, and the one guy with no trouble has a Quantum 2! so its not specific to a speedo.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

in contrast, a number of people at my local track run spektrums (1 3pk, 1 m8, 1 m11, and at least 3 helios), no problems what-so-ever. personally, i'm running one of the 'older' spektrums with the receiver wires cut to 3.6". i have them in 3 offroad, and 2 onroad cars. come to think of it, the other tracks i've been to, i haven't seen any problems there either. weird.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Well,
There is the indication that the transmitter modules CAN cause these problems because of internal intereference resulting from antena wire routing issues, There is the voltage issue that the 4 cell guys report, and my non-module aparent bec voltage sensitivity, plus I'v read that in some early versions some channel hopping was going on. My track is in an industrial area, and may have a lot of local radio spectrum activity, maybe this combined with these other issues lowers the "signal to noise ratio" enough to cause the higher incedece of problems at our track, again in touring car most of us just have a problem if the car traction rolls or is hit (hacked?!!) and rolls
Old 11-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If anyone has any kind of problems with their SPEKTRUM Systems I STRONGLY suggest you contact:

JOHN ADAMS ([email protected])

As his e-mail address shows, he works for Horizon Hobby and specifically fixes and repairs all SPEKTRUM products as I believe he is one of the developers of the System! I got a number of 1st generation SPEKTRUM Transceivers and though I never experienced any serious problems, I sent them in for some extra peace of mind. All of them got the programming updates needed and I got them back in less than 10 days from Illinois to California - Talk about fantastic turnaround time!

Trust me, JOHN will take care of you! Don't bother doing it any other way if you are experiencing problems! You can now also e-mail him the Transceiver's I.D. Number to find out if you have a 1st generation Transceiver or a reprogrammed one. All you need to do is open the Transceiver and give him the Number on the inside (which is on the back of the circuit board). I have done this as well and got a quick reply back saying the two latest Transceivers I bought had the new programming. Best of luck to everyone and hope this helps!

Old 11-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Its great that John can help us, Its disapointing that he needs to....

Quality Control is a lost art these days, none of the "hobby electronics" including cameras I havre purchased in the last couple of years have worked as advertised without repeated returns to the manufacturer for "updates"... and then sometimes still not...
Old 11-12-2005, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

It's good to see that Spektrum is taking care of their customers. Great job!

I just painted my case black. I think it looks better. I like gray and all but I still think black goes better
Attached Thumbnails Spektrum-1left.jpg  
Old 11-14-2005, 03:46 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last weekend I also had problems now with the spektrum system. This was at a indoor race on carpet with rubber tires.
In one of the heats the Spektrum shut off after a crash during the heats but not during open practice when there were much more crashes. Later in the last A-Main the Spektrum shuts off again but this time just during driving, no crash had happend.
Some other drivers also had problems there.
At the race I was speaking with the guy from GM-Racing who is responsible for all of their R&D things. He was testing alot with Spektrum and he said with the latest software and a strong BEC there shouldnīt problems outdoors. The main problem still is racing on carpet. He said on carpet there is electrostatic charge (right description?) and this sometimes is so high so one of the microprocessors at the receiver shuts off and needs restarting. According to him Spektrum did a very good job on this already but microprocessor controlled receivers are much more sensitive to the electrostatic problem than conventional ones. Same did happen with the first generations of microprocessor controlled ESC.
He inspected my radio installation and this was good already but some things I still could improve. According to him the critical area is the distance from antenna to chassis and topdeck also position of the receiver on the chassis. Best things you could do is using 2 layers of servotape between receiver and chassis and this doing not just with small stripes but the complete area of the receiver. Next thing is the antenna, for this he said best is keeping the antenna completely away from the graphite parts. Best solution for this seems a stripe of lexan mounted on top of the servo and the antennawire attached to this. But also keep away this from the upper deck by at least 10mm.
One driver having problems big problems tried this and seems working but I donīt have a picture on this. But I know I have seen this type of antenna in the past maybe on oval cars.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi
i have run my (or tired to) spektrum for the 1st time
in an elec tourer with a nosram dominater ecolution a 19 turn spec motor and a ko 2343 pds digital servo

if i work the steering lock to lock quickly the spektrum shuts down.
on normal radio gear all is ok, put a novak in and all the spektrum works spot on, also if i put a reciever pack in its fine.
is my nosram busted or does anyone else have this fault with the speedo?
Old 11-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nosram is a rebadges LRP and the LRP's are know to have a weak BEC and when used with a digital servo and the spektrum system you have problems. Spektrum sells a capacitor that plugs into the receiver, I use one with my LRP/Spektrum combo and it works fine. Without the capacitor my servo doesn't even do anything.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

excellent got one coming!!
cheers mate
Old 11-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Howard
Spektrum sells a capacitor that plugs into the receiver,.

this spektrum cap, could i use a cap from something like the novak?
Old 11-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Yes, I use the Novak cap.

I also have my TC set up with a 10v 3300mp cap from Radio shack, and it works fine too.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Tech Rookie

I solved my problems with the DX3 unit by using a 1000uf cap on the esc (between the battery and the esc) and opening the transmitter, where I found the antenna feed wire looped over the power RF amp. Just like in some of the modules! repositioned this wire to the top of the case and have not had any more issues.
Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.