Tamiya XV-01

Old 06-16-2017, 01:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Toothbrush and dish soap.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Default Xv-01 dirt drifting

I wanted to share a short clip of my xv-01. Apart from uploading a video to YouTube and linking that, I will just post my Instagram link

xv-01 at the baseball diamon
Old 06-17-2017, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Default Shorty Pack

Has anyone been successful in mounting a shorty pack in their xv-01? There doesn't seem to be enough space for the battery leads unless I drill holes in the top. I even made some decently low battery leads but i can't seem to get the cover closed.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I'm able to close the battery door with shorty packs - only if low profile bullet connectors are used.

These are one I used : https://tqwire.com/shop/rc-products/...rofile-bullet/
Old 06-17-2017, 11:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by macavant
I'm able to close the battery door with shorty packs - only if low profile bullet connectors are used.
Oh thanks! I have a low profile cable on order now.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:06 PM
Tech Addict

Default MST servo saver.

The other day I was driving my car and I hit some bricks. I immediately knew something had gone wrong. My servo-saver, saved my servo but on the meantime sheared the little plastic bit that does the steering. I am running a MST saver. As nice as the part is, I am disappointed that you can't buy spares for the splined bit. I am forced to buy another servo-saver just so I can I can replace that one plastic piece.

Btw I am using the mid stiffness spring, but I should probably go for the lightest next time.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:03 AM
Tech Addict

Default Another TA05 and Xv-01 comparison

So today I took out the TA05 and the Xv-01. I weighed these cars in the configuration they usually run in. Damn. The xv-01 is a beefy bit of RC. Close to 200g different.

The TA05 has no sway bars, and definitely has mildly lighter electronics parts in it, a shorty pack LIPO, slighter lighter ESC and servo. Motor should be the same weight, 13.5 in the xv-01 and 17.5 in the Ta05.

I was really liking how neutral the TA05 felt when steering, I could flick it in any direction and it would recover easily, even with mediocre tires. Predictable. Geared tall, it still felt like there was adequate acceleration, and just enough punch to break then tires loose without loosing control. Top speed was manageable.

The xv-01 was misbehaving today. After I raised the suspension and then messed with front and rear ride heights, everything just feels disconnected now. I think then feeling was heightened because I am doing this comparison back to back with the other chassis. The rear end was not getting quite the traction in needed out of corners. In fact it was oversteering. Accelerating was slower but top speed was greater, which made it feel a little uncontrollable and unpredictable. Unweildy when slowing and entering a turn form a straight. I could literally see the weight carry. Braking into turns needs a lot more attention because of nose dive. Maybe the xv-01 is over powered.

Todays the fun goes to the TA05.

Needless to say, a whole reworking of gearing (acceleration), ESC settings (throttle response), suspension (turning) is needed to get the xv-01 in tip top shape if you want to compete against lighter, and easier to drive cars like the Ta05.

In other words, you have to work a little harder (set up and driving skill) to make it perform well.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Looks like I just won a bid for a second Xv-01 from eBay.

Now I can devote my first car to TC and my second to straight rally.
stormridersp likes this.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A good plan.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:46 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For you Rally fans here is a shot of the Suzuki SX4 body on a TT02 at tarmac height. This body feels like it changes direction a lot faster than the Porsche body, thinking that is caused by the lower over hangs from and rear. It also feels substantially less tail Happy.

The Ride 26MM raidials sure put off a lot of dust on the sticky tennis court this evening, this is from 2 packs so about 25 minutes of running. You could actually hear them screeching at times.

Cheers,
Jim
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya XV-01-img_3792.jpg  
stueys likes this.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 PM
Tech Addict

I have to agree, changing the body will greatly affect how the car drives.

Yesterday I setup my chassis with 17.5t 77/32 locked slipper and blinky mode at 0degrees to have a baseline to compare it to my equally powered Ta05. I re-weighed the two chassis. The Xv-01 chassis is about 1600 running weight. The TA05 is 1490 with almost identical electronics and battery. So 110g difference.

Once I got the xv-01's suspension handling as neutral as I could, I put the body on, and much of the steering balances changed. I had to tighten up then rear preloads to counter some of the extra body weight.

The xv-01 really is kind of swing happy when you have a lot of power. With a silver can or light modified motor it can take corners with a sloppy setup. Once you put anything hotter than 21.5 or a 17t, that extra weight (in all the wrong places) makes for some butt swinging oversteer. You can tune it out as much as you can with more rear spring tension and I guess that makes for a higher rear end. Strange how that is counter to some setups, where a softer rear end gives more traction. Where a tighter rear end yields less oversteer in the xv-01. Thoughts?

The xv-01 is such a challenge. That's why I like it. This car with the right setup might be as fast as the next car, but never faster than the gamut of TC cars; I have conceded. It really is best at being a decent cross over chassis.

I can't wait to setup the second chassis as rally. All-road characteristics like jumping, and terrain management and traction will be a new challenge. Compromises... I am guessing.

Last edited by 4roller; 06-20-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

That wing is is just so absurdity big for such a little hatchback. I bet it produces some decent down force at speed (read air resistance) and if anything, it should plant the rear end down from the weight. Lol. The subie WRX STI has the same shaped wing, that thing is heavy.

If you look at the picture of my body above, I have the same road grime kick up problem you have. I think the lexan bodies have a static cling.

I like the Suzuki body.

Originally Posted by LJH
For you Rally fans here is a shot of the Suzuki SX4 body on a TT02 at tarmac height. This body feels like it changes direction a lot faster than the Porsche body, thinking that is caused by the lower over hangs from and rear. It also feels substantially less tail Happy.

The Ride 26MM raidials sure put off a lot of dust on the sticky tennis court this evening, this is from 2 packs so about 25 minutes of running. You could actually hear them screeching at times.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-21-2017, 06:09 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks, I think it looks a OK looks OK as well. Really hoping Tamiya releases a 2017 WRC body at some point, i will take a fiesta please. Between the wider arches and bigger aero I find the 2017 cars just very cool....reminicent of the Groupe B cars in a modern vein.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-21-2017, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Definitely. A lot of the modern WRC have crazy aero parts. I would be really cool to see a rally specific body with arches, spats, skirts, defusers, splitters, and wings.

Mud flaps.. yeah mud flaps.

Originally Posted by LJH
Thanks, I think it looks a OK looks OK as well. Really hoping Tamiya releases a 2017 WRC body at some point, i will take a fiesta please. Between the wider arches and bigger aero I find the 2017 cars just very cool....reminicent of the Groupe B cars in a modern vein.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-27-2017, 11:07 PM
Tech Addict

Default Xv-01 the second

State: Partial restoration.

Oh hi!

Yes here is the second xv-01 from eBay. The car came to me in pretty rough shape with all the dampers had no oil and between 3mm and 13mm of travel depending on the corner. Needless to say the car wasn't driving well before being shelved. It has missing bearings, missing screws. Tierods fixed onto random spots because of broken bulkheads. It was a complete mess. I rebuilt most of it from the diffs up. Replaced as many screws as I could with hexes. I put my leftover upgraded suspension and drive parts on and will bag the original parts. This car will be a lifted rally machine. My other xv-01 will remain street-spec TC.

What's a good way to tune for jumps?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.