Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
This... Arm sweep works in a similar manner to inboard rear toe, in that it affects the rate of camber change. Adding more sweep will give more mid-exit, and less initial.
But also need to bare in mind that just adding sweep will also shorten the front wheelbase, which in turn also change the ackerman... it's why I would tend to adjust the wheelbase when changing sweep as well. Honestly, normally ended up on 1.5/1.5 or 2.0/1.5 front blocks, seemed to be the best compromise.

Regards
Ed
Ed, are you referring to track width? I don't understand what you mean "front wheelbase".
Old 10-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

I just noticed that there's a building tip from a guy named Gary. And he mentions the servo horn rubbing and servo savor touching the aluminum block.

"Page 22 A28, here is where you have to watch out a couple of things. If you follow the instructions and use the 1mm spacers between the servo and the mount, when you use the supplied servo horn as you rotate the servo, watch out for the clearance of the screw head to the carbon fiber support. This will be dependant of what brand of servo you use, but if you don’t adjust for the clearance it will rub thru the sweep of the horn. I ended up using a 1mm spacer inside the horn to get a little clearance, but also managed to strip the horn on a harder crash. Now if you use a servo saver, you’ll also have to trim it down so it’s a little narrower as at full sweep of the servo the saver will hit the extreme right side of the aluminum mount, and full lock will not be possible. "

And I complained about this w/o knowing this article exists. As beautiful as the serpent manual is, I wish there was a bit of written explanation. Sometimes it's hard to understand things just by seeing pictures. It may be ok to you experts but it's not ok to mediocres. lol
Old 10-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Ed, are you referring to track width? I don't understand what you mean "front wheelbase".
When you arm sweep the actual wheelbase of the car changes. It ends up with a slightly shorter wheelbase, as well as your Ackerman changes, your shock angles change, the weight distribution changes, rc changes. Track width will also change slightly but the real big change will be the wheelbase, like removing some of the spacers between the arms and the suspension bridges.

Originally Posted by snuvet75
I just noticed that there's a building tip from a guy named Gary. And he mentions the servo horn rubbing and servo savor touching the aluminum block.

"Page 22 A28, here is where you have to watch out a couple of things. If you follow the instructions and use the 1mm spacers between the servo and the mount, when you use the supplied servo horn as you rotate the servo, watch out for the clearance of the screw head to the carbon fiber support. This will be dependant of what brand of servo you use, but if you don’t adjust for the clearance it will rub thru the sweep of the horn. I ended up using a 1mm spacer inside the horn to get a little clearance, but also managed to strip the horn on a harder crash. Now if you use a servo saver, you’ll also have to trim it down so it’s a little narrower as at full sweep of the servo the saver will hit the extreme right side of the aluminum mount, and full lock will not be possible. "

And I complained about this w/o knowing this article exists. As beautiful as the serpent manual is, I wish there was a bit of written explanation. Sometimes it's hard to understand things just by seeing pictures. It may be ok to you experts but it's not ok to mediocres. lol
The article is even more in depth if you go to the Petit RC site as it has the exerts from the instruction book that the build tips are referencing too. I can only hope that Serpent will include them as a supliment to the instruction book which was the intent of when I wrote them.

Or you can just ask here.....

The whole servo deal really depends on which one you use as some of them like a KO have better clearance than a Futaba or a Savox, which where the only two I had when I did the build tips.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Guys!

I got to race my first big event with the 411 this past weekend. Here is the link to my setup. I thought it was really easy to drive. I was able to qualify 4th but the main didnt go as well as I would have liked. If you have any questions, ask here or email me, [email protected]

http://www.serpent.com/file.php?FileID=5812
Old 10-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicky03
Hey Guys!

I got to race my first big event with the 411 this past weekend. Here is the link to my setup. I thought it was really easy to drive. I was able to qualify 4th but the main didnt go as well as I would have liked. If you have any questions, ask here or email me, [email protected]

yes yes Paul your car looked good and thank for the setup help, can't wait to run it this weekend.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by chicky03
Hey Guys!

Hi Paul -

What top deck were you using?

Also, with all that weight added, do you know what your total weight was, 1380, 1400?

Going to try this set up for the AOC race at Yatabe Arena next month and they are going to let us run at 1350g.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Manuals

[
And I complained about this w/o knowing this article exists. As beautiful as the serpent manual is, I wish there was a bit of written explanation. Sometimes it's hard to understand things just by seeing pictures. It may be ok to you experts but it's not ok to mediocres. lol[/QUOTE]

yes i understand but how many languages could they cover....in this day and age the download of the web in your language is probably as good as it going to get..or a usb supplied with the car cause even as we talk the cd rom is near the end of it life
other than that the forum is here and the web site the good

happy racing
Old 10-30-2013, 04:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xevias
Hi Paul -

What top deck were you using?

Also, with all that weight added, do you know what your total weight was, 1380, 1400?

Going to try this set up for the AOC race at Yatabe Arena next month and they are going to let us run at 1350g.
I used the std top deck with the kit. I think it's the 2.0 flex.

The rule for the race was 1380 so The car was 1384gr. I'd probably take out the 20gr one. My weight balance was 50/50 f/r so I'd try and keep it close to that after you remove the weight.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

For the Schumacher Mi5 Steering Rack install. I thought I'd add some pics with captions to show what I did. Hope it helps and feel free to contact me with Qs.

You dont have to drill new holes but it would be better to move the rack forward for a better ackerman.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-s411-schumi-rack-1.jpg   Serpent S411-s411-schumi-rack-2.jpg  
Old 11-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Cheap one on eBay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serpent-S411...E:B:BCA:0:1465
Old 11-01-2013, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JAM Racing
[
yes i understand but how many languages could they cover....in this day and age the download of the web in your language is probably as good as it going to get..or a usb supplied with the car cause even as we talk the cd rom is near the end of it life
other than that the forum is here and the web site the good

happy racing[/QUOTE]

Yeah I understand you too man. But I'm not saying that they have to put every single information in the manual but that they could mention briefly where to refer to when things can be hard to understand or confusing(like a link or simply say "check out website building help for further instruction").
To reply to your comment about how many languages, English is universal and they already use English in the manual. I don't understand why you even say that.
You are absolutely right about how easy it is to access to info and to download things from the web now days but it doesn't mean everybody has access to it when they are building the car, or at least when they are looking at the manual.
I don't know about you but I own a business and I know what to do to provide better customer experience. Putting a few more words in manual wouldn't cost them much if not at all and I would absolutely do that if that's the case.
You seem to have taken my opinion in somewhat a wrong way but I still love Serpent and will keep driving their car and just wanted them to strive to better customer care. So I gave my opinion. Not to just be a criticizer.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default ETS results

Some great results for the Serpent team at the CZ ETS race this weekend.

TQ and 1st in super stock, TQ and 1st in F1 for Jan Asmer, first time done in ETS history.

Placed 2 cars in the A main of Mod, no podiums but still a good showing.

Cars looking very competitve.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone

TQ and 1st in super stock, TQ and 1st in F1 for Jan Asmer, first time done in ETS history.

Very cool
Keep up the great work everyone !
Old 11-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone

Hey johnny,
Any chance of getting jans s411 setup? Looking for a starting setup for AOC yatabe in a few weeks time.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default your right not

um language and terminology

their is no Steering rack in the s411
regards Andrew

Last edited by JAM Racing; 11-05-2013 at 03:34 AM. Reason: OOPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.