Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

so should i leave the flex deck on the te car for stock, and the one peice motor mount on the mod car? i don't have a lot of tracktime with touring cars sadly =(
the stock car felt pretty good when i had it out, just want some more out of the mod car if i can.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk
so should i leave the flex deck on the te car for stock, and the one peice motor mount on the mod car? i don't have a lot of tracktime with touring cars sadly =(
the stock car felt pretty good when i had it out, just want some more out of the mod car if i can.
Honestly I would try switching motors on the cars and see how that feels. With the flex deck the car is more planted a safer car not that car that can be hurried slightly to catch some one. This past Sunday at my local track I ran the 2mm flex all day because I knew what the 2mm standard cut felt like. I put the 2mm flex on cut as well and the more I ran the car the more it screwed it self into the ground. I think it really works the tires to make grip. With my cars I always get everything involved chassis flex, suspension, and tires. I really believe some setups tend to work more of one thing than the other two a balanced setup is a car that wins. Try making the mod car the more planted and safe car. Make the stock slightly more edgy but something easy to drive over the course of six minutes. It's a terrible fact but a controllable loose car is a fast car.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Tahoe this is totally the answer I'm after.

So you're saying I need these parts:
mono motor mount:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...no-Motor-Mount

standard top deck 2mm:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Fiber-Top-Deck

?
I have a TE with the 2 piece mount currently and run on carpet
Old 12-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Should also note I'm trying to mimic Steve S's setup and it doesn't say anything about the motor mount
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/serp...2012102628.pdf
Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

so all i have to swap is the top deck as both cars are identical aside from the te ness i guess.

the non te car has the one peice motor mount and stiffer deck, so i guess id just swap out the top decks.
my mod car is basically setup the same as the stock one with more droop and softer bars, but the wheelbase seems shorter. I put the shims all in the front in the back to try and push the rear wheels back but i guess the TE car is just longer? that might be part of the reason the stock car was so much more planted and easy to drive.

i shouldnt say the mod car was that edgy. it was pretty good considering we never run mod motors in any of out cars and the track has 6ft lanes for 12th scale ha. i did a 10.4 with the mod car, but thats not so good considering i did 10.8-11.1 average with the stock car, and 9.6/7 average in the stock 12th scale lol.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

i shouldnt say the mod car was that edgy. it was pretty good considering we never run mod motors in any of out cars and the track has 6ft lanes for 12th scale ha. i did a 10.4 with the mod car, but thats not so good considering i did 10.8-11.1 average with the stock car, and 9.6/7 average in the stock 12th scale lol.
Have you ever considered coming down to the Seattle track "the Hanger". We run plenty of Modified sedan and 1/12th scale modified on a indoor perfectly smooth gym floor. 104 feet of smooth straight = giddy up!!

Steve
Old 12-12-2012, 05:33 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Flux
Thanks Tahoe this is totally the answer I'm after.

So you're saying I need these parts:
mono motor mount:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...no-Motor-Mount

standard top deck 2mm:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Fiber-Top-Deck

?
I have a TE with the 2 piece mount currently and run on carpet
Yes both of those parts are needed to make your cars identical. It sounds like the only thing different on your cars are the shocks. I personally like the older shocks better.

Unfortunately I can't open Steve s setup sheet on my iPhone so I won't be able to tell u what else u need to accomplish his set up.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by corallyman
Have you ever considered coming down to the Seattle track "the Hanger". We run plenty of Modified sedan and 1/12th scale modified on a indoor perfectly smooth gym floor. 104 feet of smooth straight = giddy up!!

Steve
Do you guys hold any big annual races there. Im on a traveling kick right now. Lol
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Just to add to the top deck discussion...

I found that using the v1.5 motor mount and all screws, going from the standard LE top deck to the flex top deck made the car less predictable. I did not try to dial that out, and was using a front diff and some other settings less popular here as well. Just food for thought.

I also just converted my VTA to a TC over the weekend. I drilled some 6 hole pistons and went to 600wt oil with the same RSD 13.5/12.5 springs just to see what happens. I also built a little arm sweep into the front 2.5 FF, 1.5 FR blocks (instead of 2.0/2.0). Feeling the shocks, I can definitely see running even thicker oil, but wanted a reference point. I picked up some extra parts and have my old shocks with the same springs and 35wt associated oil that I can run back to back and compare the feeling.

I also changed the other TC to a front spool last time out and spent a day tuning with it. While it had much more giddy up out of the corners, my consistency went into the toilet and the car was much more difficult for me to drive, without really producing any faster results. I put a 300k diff into this new car and will see how it works, but with so many other changes, will see. While we run 17.5 Blinky as our only TC class (besides VTA), I am thinking about making the second car a mod car, just to start learning brake control. VTA has always needed little to no brakes, and I find I am very inconsistent in my braking (amount and timing) in the TC and mod is supposed to be very good for teaching brakes.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

i would like to come down to some washington state races soon. getting a little better so would be fun. but i dont think the wife would appreciate me having to take time off work to go play with toy cars.

but we will see. i hear that race is closer to april? i might try to go to wcics finals . just have to see how i do at wcics4.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flux
Should also note I'm trying to mimic Steve S's setup and it doesn't say anything about the motor mount
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/serp...2012102628.pdf
1-piece motor mount. 401495 top deck, have not tried cutting the rear brace.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Steve
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

I think it depends how you drive orca. After a lot of vrc, i find myself powering right up to the inside line, braking hard and turning to try to travel less distance vs arcing corners wide trying to hold speed
I
Guess its a mod diving style but at least for now it seems to work for me.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I think it depends how you drive orca. After a lot of vrc, i find myself powering right up to the inside line, braking hard and turning to try to travel less distance vs arcing corners wide trying to hold speed
I
Guess its a mod diving style but at least for now it seems to work for me.
Absolutely! Our current layout favors the coming in hard under braking, but accelerating and letting the car roll out of the corners. The braking is short and hard, and mostly to get the weight transfer forward to get enough bite as you accelerate on power out.

I need to get back on VRC some more, was really enjoying the 12th scale as well as the offroad.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 98tahoeboy
Do you guys hold any big annual races there. Im on a traveling kick right now. Lol
The past few years we've had the Emerald City Classic in the March-April timeframe. We don't have one on the schedule for this year, due our new building's availability, but I think it's something the club leadership is working on.

That said, our last for club races have had: ~85, ~75, ~85, and ~105 entries across Stock TC, Mod TC, Stock 12th, Mod 12th, Scale Spec, WGT, F1, and Novice. It's like going to a big regional race every two weeks! The non-awesome part is that we don't start until 4-5pm, which means we don't get out until 2-4am.

i would like to come down to some washington state races soon. getting a little better so would be fun. but i dont think the wife would appreciate me having to take time off work to go play with toy cars.
All our races are on saturdays, and don't start until 4-5pm. But you might have to find somewhere to crash afterwards, and head home on Sunday. Don't worry about your skill level. We have all different skill levels represented, from national champions to pinball novices, and everything in between.

-Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.