R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car
Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 PM
stiltskin
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlanHall
Thanks guys. I was kind of replying to bishops view of the lack of support from top .. anyway..

I got my super clean.. but used photon today.. it currently has a gear diff in front and ball in the back. What's the benefit? I have read about rear gear diff and spools up front. But im not certain what setup does what.. last time I raced touring was a xray fk05 around 2006... lol its been a while. Good thing is I learned gear diffs a bit from racing 8thbut scale offload. But just not sure in TC.
Running a gear diff in the front while running a ball diff in the back will give you a good balance of on and off power steering. While the ball/ball combination would give you the most off power, the spool/ball will give you the most on power. Running the gear diff in the front with some heavy fluid (40k plus) will give you good off power steering while eliminating alot of the push from running a ball diff in the front while on power. On the asphalt, I switched between the spool front/gear diff rear and dual gear diffs. Currently running 40k front and 35wt in the back on carpet. Gives great rotation and good response through the turns. I'm also able to hold the sweeper at both ends of the track wide open.
There are lots of tuning options available with gear diffs. You just have to experiment and see what works for you. Thicker oil up front makes it closer to a spool, thicker oil in the rear slows the rotation of the car.