R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2002, 06:27 AM
davidl
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

vthondaboi
Your first question is in regards to the car. Don't pass on the Speedmerchant REV3. Past records show this car to be very fast on all surfaces and as reliable as any. I mean any driver can destroy any car. You will not be disappointed with the REV3.

Your second question is for the ESC. Don't rule out the LRP Quantum. It is the smallest and lightest. Perfect for a 1/12 scale car. Excellent performance as well. Adjustments are easy and they don't require an additional computing device to achieve.

Your third question is about a servo. Many of the pro drivers use the 94145 by Airtronics. It is the fastest in response of any of the small top level servos on the market.

Good luck

Dennis
I suggest you consider grey or white rear tires. I am assuming the platinum is on the rear of your car. The purple fronts are fine, but you can also try pink or magenta.

I run 29 to 31 pinions on a 100 tooth spur in 64 pitch. You can compare that to the 48 pitch gears you are using. Switching to 64 pitch is up to you. They are a little more efficient in the smaller cars. The type of stock motor is important here too. The GM3 and the MVP usually require a couple teeth smaller pinion.

The rest of the stuff you ask about is a personal preference type setup. A lot of it is driven by the track you race on. That means the type surface, the strength of the groove and so on. The thick t-bar is very popular because it provides quick response for track features that require quick changes in direction. Removing the center mounting screw to the motor pod will give you a softer feel from front to back, providing a little more rear traction. The spring and oil fit into that equation as well. It depends what the car needs. Work with 30 wt. oil and the green spring that comes with the shock. If the surface in very flat and very smooth, you might be able to use the chrome colored spring that is a little stiffer than the green.

On the front suspension, the 10 deg caster blocks are for drivers that want the car to continually tighten the turning radius as they roll around the corner. The 0 deg blocks are for a constant turning radius as the car rolls around the corner. It becomes driver preference again. And different track surfaces may require a different approach.

The bottom line is to practice and test a lot. Make these changes to get an idea of what they do for you. Once you are comfortable with all of those combinations, you can use them to your advantage when you travel to different locations to race. This is most of the fun of racing these cars, ie getting the car to fit the driver, the track and the natural conditions of the day.

Good luck and I hope I helped