R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Bodies TCX
Thread: Hot Bodies TCX
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 05:14 AM
Ooj
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by S.A.W
Are the droop figures on the setup sheets measured using droop blocks/gauge ?

5000cst oil seems very thick, I normally use 700-2000 ?

How does it effect the car changing the shim thickness on the sway bar linkage ?

Thanks.
The droop figures in the manual are measured with droop blocks to the underside of the arms where the outer hinge pin sits and should be in the range of 4.5-6.5mm. However, these days it is more popular to use digital calipers to measure from the bottom of the chassis to the centre of the outer hinge pin. These should be in the range of 8-10mm. The other way to measure which I am seeming to prefer now is from the bottom of the chassis to the top of the axle (http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=583) as it allows the calipers to rest on the top of the axle. These measurements range from 24mm-26mm. Antoni's measurements are true droop measurements (2-3mm) which can be done by measuring how many millimeters it takes the chassis to lift before the tyres lose contact with the setup board.

As for diff oil like Antoni said, the rear springs and oil combos are a personal preference. I am going to be testing with Pink, Silver, Hara black, Hara red, Hara purple and 1000, 1300, 2000 oil combos in the next few weeks.

The thickness of the shims on the sway bar holder is a fine tuning aid for the angle of the sway bar holder. Angle also fine tunes the stiffness of the bar. Most people try to run it as vertical as possible but when you change the wheel base it will also affect the angle of the standard sway bar holder. if you go larger than 2mm as the gap, you should use a longer ball stud as the standard one is not that big.