R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Durango DEX210 Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 06:42 PM
hopsing
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by dirtydan
i have a question about the c clips. i installed it with the beveled face towards the thrust washer and after maby 10 laps the diff started slipping like if the c clip has come lose. i have yet to disassemble the diff, but my question is are there any other alternatives to using the c clip in the diffs? this is the third time i take the diff apart today because of this issue. the first 2 times it was due to have the flat side facing the thrust washer, but now with it facing the correct way it still poped off. i also see that durango has a part number for the gear diff, but are they available already?

dan
You also have to make sure that the small washer goes into the outdrive first, then the thrust bearing, and then the larger diameter washer last. Also, if you reused the snap ring, you need to spread it out some so that it is slightly larger....if you have taken it in and out a couple times it wont spring back to the original diameter and will never work like its supposed to, it will always pop out with pressure applied escpecially if the small thrust washer is pushing against it intstead of the larger one.
The best thing to do is to install a new one, but if thats not possible, just slighlty open up the ring some. You also need to make sure that you dont over compress the spring when installing it or it wont spread back open into the groove tightly either. One thing I do is after its installed n the groove, take a small flathead screwdriver and twist it in the open end of the snap ring to make sure its spread out into the groove.

And no, there is no other method of holding the thrust in....the system works great, there was just a failure in the instructions on how to install it correctly to avoid these problems.