R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Remember when?
Thread: Remember when?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Brian C
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I start to feel really old sometimes as I long for the 'old days' of Rc racing. In the mid 80's stock class was huge. 27t motors and 7.2v batteries, we raced 4 minutes and hoped we wouldn't 'dump' at the end. There were no warm up laps and even the heats were heads up. At Antioch Rc raceway we had a 13" tv connected to out Texas inturments computer and the software was provided via a cassette tape. Someone actually had to punch each car number every time the car crossed the line.

I purchased an a&l trailing arm upgrade for my rc10 just so it would look more like my favorite car ever, a Cox Scorpion. I still have an original jrx2 that was built and never raced. We got it during an invitational event with Gil jr, Eustace Moore(spelling? But Mr MIP) and several other losi heroes of the day. It sits next to a Super Champ and a Cox Gallop, what ever happened to 4wd with 4 wheel steering? LOL.

It's interesting to note that everyone starts now at speeds that were the modified power levels then. No wonder it's so difficult and requires so much determination to stick it out through the first few years. As a father I sure wish there was a more moderate paced class to start, at least in our area.

Thanks for the great thread and for those who have shared a few gems from 'back in the day'