R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3 racing new F1
Thread: 3 racing new F1
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Team Lotus
Tech Fanatic

Sorry Mantis, I don't agree with you about foams on an F1 car; they should all run rubber only! They may not give the ultimate performance of a foam, but the rubber tires look REAL, and that is what F1 rc needs to embrace, FULL SCALE REALISM!! Let the 1/12 and 1/10 pan cars with the "blob" bodies run foams for all out performance. I've seen the pics of some of the F1 cars running with the foam tires trued down to the rim just like the 1/12 and 1/10 pan car guys do, and honestly, on an F1 car it just looks plain UGLY. From a side view, all you see is the rim of the wheel. That crap doesn't belong in F1. While I'm at it, thinly disguised pan cars like the Corally with it's pan car wheels, 200+mm width, and Associated style pan car front suspension, have no place in a proper F1 class. They are cheater cars and they don't look even remotely like a real F1 car!

I'm hoping that the FGX is a huge hit in F1 rc, and that it causes Tamiya and others to build their own versions of the FGX. F1 rc needs to once and for all, embrace a single format, no more of this business of each different manufacturer offering completely different formats: pan car, solid axle, independent suspension, pan car wheels, foam tires, rubber tires, 200mm, 180mm, 190mm, etc, etc, etc. I believe a proper 2WD chassis with full independent chassis and a width of between 180-190mm, along the lines of the FGX is the way to go.

Having said that however, I do believe that 3Racing made a mistake with regards to the FGX by not making it so that it will accept Tamiya wheels, bodies and wings. Those parts should be universal on ALL F1 cars! Plus we all know that Tamiya makes the best looking scale F1 bodies, hands down!

F1 rc cars need to stop being narrowed down pan cars with an F1 body and wings, and become proper scale looking F1 cars with realistic independent suspensions etc. After all, unless people heads have been stuck in the sand lately, it is obvious that the majority who are interested in on-road racing are asking for SCALE REALISTIC cars. One of the most popular and fastest growing classes is the Vintage Trans Am series which promotes scale realism above all else, and it is a big hit! And the same could happen for F1 if done properly. We who are fans of F1 rc racing can help make this all happen by voting with our wallets and purchasing the FGX. This will send a message to Tamiya and others of what direction we want to see F1 go. I'm betting that even now there are those at Tamiya who are watching the response to the FGX; heck, they probably already bought one for themselves so that they can study it and design their own version. I know that is what I would do if I were them!