Thread: Tamiya TRF417
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 09:00 PM
TryHard
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nilks
Thanks for your reply, Elliott.

I have uploaded two new videos, but I didn't manage to do one with the car on the track. The problem started between two heats, and last year's indoor season and this year's outdoor season I had no such problem. My 4th battery of this indoor season, it started with this.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sorry for the ending of the first video, but the lamp providing light for the video fell down into the car because of the vibrations The car-stand actually dances around the table because of it
The problem might not be that visible in these videos, because I tried changing motor from 5.5T to 17.5T (but with same gearing at FDR 7.8 and minimal timing) to see if that was the problem, but it wasn't. So the motor can't pull that many RPM's

Normally with wheel chatter you can barely hear it on the track, but this I can very clearly hear. The grinding noices are still there on the track. I tried getting some of the other Tamiya's at the track (both 417's and 416X's) to do the same (steering plus throttle on the carstand) with very little to none vibrations at all, and almost no noices. So I have a feeling this isn't normal wheel chatter.
Honestly... I really do think it's a case of reaching the limit of the CVD's rather than anything else. Given everything else you've tried, and haven't got rid of the issue, thats the only thing it could still be.
Basically it looks like using too much lock in the steering, and that causes the binding to occur. It's noticeable the noise starts at the extreme ends of the travel, which is indicative of this.

That's also why it's not noticeable on other cars, as if they have a different steering setup (Servo, horn, EPA's etc) then will probably not be using as much lock, and hence no noise.

Do you have a setup station? Can you measure how much steering angle you have at maximum lock, as this will give a good indication if your running too much lock on the car.

In the meantime, back the EPA's down on the transmitter, and give the car a little more steering via setup (Springs etc). If your using that much lock around the track, then it will be slow as well, as it will cause the fronts to scrub across the track, reducing corner speed. Should only ever really need enough lock to do a full circle within the track width.

HiH
Ed