R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Pro 10: 235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Discussion
Old 10-20-2011, 01:38 PM
2wdrive
Tech Master

stickpack is easier to get then saddlepacks. There are more stickpacks as well so plenty of choice. Some say that stickpacks are better as you have less cells then the saddlepacks.

For indoor applications i would go for stickpack as weight on the back is not important and weight on the centerline is important for less side to side weight transfer in corners. There is traction enough on carpet.

For outdoor I have seen all kinds of configurations win. Stickpack down the middle, sticpack on one side and electronics on the other, saddlepacks at the back or a stickpack at the back (croswise). Not sure what is better outdoors. Theory would suggest that more weight at the back would give you more traction when accelerating out of the turn. The theory also says you will get more steering entering the turn and in the middle of the turn as weight will go forwards.

I drove my 200mm BMI DB10RR once on an outdoor track with 2s saddlepacks side by side in the middle and the electronics at the back (the BMI way). After i got my setup right i had no problems hanging with the wide cars and i was using a sophia body.

I think there is not a one best solutions and you always end up with a compromise in outdoor applications. It is still up to the driver how he set up his car and his driving style.

The manufacturers are designing there new 200mm cars based on more or less carpet setup for world gt. With stickpacks you also don't need a wide chassis and can make it narrower.