R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)
Old 09-24-2011, 04:57 AM
Buckaroo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkennedy
CT, what are the additional gaskets and gears for the gear diff for? are they needed?
The white gears are hit or miss (history of having bubbles in the molded plastic, creating weak spots that allow gear teeth to break off). I hear that the black gears are much stronger, better plastic and better molding. Regardless, if I were racing, I'd always keep a spare set of gears, just in case!

Be aware that when you first fill the diff, if you overfill it, you'll get some seapage around the gasket on the first run or so. Make sure you clean the belt surface area and belt if that happens. If you're still flinging oil after the first run, reasses your build.

It's always good practice to keep at least one extra gasket on hand, since you're probably going to want to change oil several time while tuning. Also, SpecR diffs are hit or miss for leaking issues (over and above the leaking caused by overfilling), and doubling up a gasket will sometimes fix it.

Hint: saturate both sides of the gasket with associated green stuff prior to installation. Just put some on your finger and thumb, and dab on both sides of the gasket until it's got a thin coat that soaks in. That way if you spill some oil on it while changing fluid, it'll still work for several oil changes.