R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC6 Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 01:14 PM
spongerX
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
How quickly are yall going thru the 6x10mm bearings in the front hubs? After 2 weeks, I have substantial play in left front bearings, mild play in the right front, mild play in the left rear.

Im just getting back into TC racing, so Im a little rusty. But I wasnt tagging walls broadside, just a couple front taps on the bumper.

Is this a known problem area? Are there more durable bearings available(like the Acer Ceramics)?
Very quickly. I've only run my TC6 about 6 to 8 race days and pulled the bearings to check on them and found 3 CRACKED 6x10 bearings. The bearings were still smooth but the outer race had actually split on 3 of the 4 outer hub bearings. My track doesn't have fixed barriers so they move if the car hits the barriers and I haven't crashed my TC6 near as hard as I used to hit my TC5r. My TC5r never split a bearing once and the original kit bearings lasted about 6 months. I also use a custom Parma front bumper on my TC6 that I carved from a block of their high density foam so bigger bumpers are not the answer to increase AE bearing longevity. All of my AE bearings felt quite stiff out of the bag compared to Avid out of the bag. I degrease all and use light oil but the AE bearings still never got as smooth as the cheap Avid. My solution to the AE bearing issue was to replace with Avid $1 bearings.

Final straw for me and my TC6 was when I stripped an arm mount thread in a rear bulkhead in relatively slow speed collission.