R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class
Old 09-07-2011, 07:00 AM
aarcobra
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Concern

Originally Posted by ElliotCanada
I'm not trying to cause any trouble, however, I have a concern.

Just my opinion. Why not keep this very simple and allow any 8th scale body? There are so many readily available CanAm / GTP Bodies that are less expensive, offer better motor cooling, which are much easier to refuel and temp. I imagine offer far superior handling (which will result in less broken parts

Having to order bodies from an over sea distributor seems an expensive way to go. Could be very expensive testing bodies to find out which ones have decent handling. Some of these could be real bad - I would hate to spend the money to find that out. It could be hard to get together a second order of 20 bodies if more new people join in.

France has a very successful 8th Pan Program. They already sorted this all out. They run sports bodies - simple. The Pros are Cheaper, Superior Handling (resulting in less broken parts), Superior Engine Cooling, Easier Pitting and Readily Available. The Cons?? Appearance?? That's personal taste I guess.

I really dislike spending more money on an inferior product.

Just something to consider before a Body order is placed. Once some people have invested in 20 bodies, it will be hard to go back.

I'm looking forward to the Results of this weekend's MidWest Series Race in Toledo. Have FUN and let us know how it goes.

Question - someone mentioned that Garen can get another make Pan Car. Which one is that?
My opinion is that you are missing the point. The point is not to duplicate the current class but ot do something different.

There are so many readily available CanAm / GTP Bodies that are less expensive The currently available bodies you speak of are not CanAm or GTP bodies at all. They are caricatures of cars run in endurance racing and maybe in obscure (in the US) European Series.

I imagine offer far superior handling (which will result in less broken parts) better motor cooling, which are much easier to refuel and temp. Not looking of "superior handling" if the cars are a bit slower the handling becomes less of an issue and fewer parts will be broken because less hard crashes should occur at lower speeds. (By having better handling your ideas will result in higher speeds and more broken parts) Another way to cool the motor is to run it richer, temping the engines has not been a problem, the heads are generally right up against the roof, refueling, to me at least, may require some thought, but is not an issue worth worring about.

Having to order bodies from an over sea distributor seems an expensive way to go. Could be very expensive testing bodies to find out which ones have decent handling. Some of these could be real bad - I would hate to spend the money to find that out. It could be hard to get together a second order of 20 bodies if more new people join in.
As has been said before "you don't go (RC) racing to save money"
And also again, the idea is not to test bodies to find the best handling ones, seems to me the majority commenting here are intersted in using the "vintage bodies". If "another" order for 20 bodies is needed (we have not got one order yet!) the Motonica body could always be used.

As far as just duplicating the French rules, I am certain the circumstances in France and the US are considerably different regarding 1/8 scale RC Car Racing. France and sounds like the rest of the world appearently have highly developed racing structures with many tracks and clubs and many more participants than in the US. (Is there a reason there are NO US designed/built 1/8 scale on-road cars?)

Maybe this class is not suited for all. Some of us think Unlimited 4WD is not for us. To each his own!!

Ned