Thread: Nitro vs e
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 01:51 AM
turbowop
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitroexpress

I did cringe at the replacement battery pack for one of the buggies. $150+
I use Gens Ace 5000mah 4s packs that cost a whopping $66. I also charge them at 2c rates. Zero issues and they make our 15min mains with ease on my setup. I have a more expensive Reedy 5500mah pack, but there is no difference in power, just a little more headroom in runtime. From what I've seen, charging at higher rates is fine. My Hyperion charger shows internal resistance of my packs, and they're always super low. So many people say that it's bad to charge at higher rates, yet I know not a single person that has had an issue due to charging their packs in such a way.

At my local track, we mix nitro and E. There are about 12 guys in 1/8 buggy including me. Three of us are E. I placed second in last weekend's race, behind a nitro. To make it fair, those of us with E-rigs make fake pit stops around the 8min mark. Lap times between the two are a wash. I like nitros and I'm decent at tuning them having been in and out of this hobby since the 80's, but overall I like the ease of E. It really is easier to just plug in and go, no need for a pit guy and no worry of a flame out. The biggest problem I see locally is that a lot of the turn marshals assume my engine stalled if I need to be marshaled and try to run my buggy back to the pits.