R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Straight Centre Drive-train VS Centred Engine
Old 08-09-2011, 06:57 PM
John.
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Great replies guys.

I know angled requires more maintenance. What I was after was more about whether you feel a straight centre drive-train gives the car a more balanced feel especially on power when twist force is applied. Not sure if I'm making sense. Do you think the inertia of the centre drive-train when power is constantly being applied on and off matters when it's straight or angled, or rear is straight and front is really angled? Is it less important than weight balance?

I agree to an extent that great steerer's can win with most cars. But is it a coincidence that the last what? 10 WC's and most major big races have been won with buggy's that have an extremely straight centre drive-line as opposed to going for a more "modern" everything narrow and in the centre with angled drive-train design? I don't know, maybe it doesn't matter. But even recently at the Euros I noticed again Mugen and Kysho dominating, both with extremely straight centre drive-trains.

Also Serpent being a Dutch European brand I was surprised to see hardly no presence at the Euros this year. I had a good look at a Serpent recently, and it really is a racers car. So many little things that other manufacturers don't do. I'm very surprised (other than Billy) that the Cobra hasn't had more success. Maybe not enough racing it? Or not enough talent racing it? Not sure.

On the Xray I think there are a lot more cars with straighter centre drive-trains. I like how Xray persist with the being "made in Europe" and their quality of parts. I just don't like their design. Seems like everything was an afterthought or modification. Not having a dig at their quality, just their design. Maybe that's why they come out with a new kit every year, constantly trying to make it work.

Once again thanks to anyone who has added to this discussion. It's great to read racers opinions on this and what they feel is more important. It's a topic that I think is the main fundamental difference between buggies. You have in the one corner the Losi narrow central types (Agama, JQ etc) and in the other corner the Kyosho wide straight drive-train types (Mugen, Associated, HB etc).

Would it be fair to say a car like the Serpent 811 is somewhere in the middle of these two groups? Not sure. Maybe more towards the narrow group.