R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya F104 Pro!
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 07:42 PM
rtypec
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default F104 X1 Build - Step 0

Hi All, I started building the F104 X1 and will post pictures and information about each step.

Since this is one of the first builds that I've shared, I under estimated the amount of time it takes to capture everything so please bear with my slow build pace (car could have been built hours ago)

So without further adieu...

Step 0 - Chassis Prep

This step is totally optional but I typically sand, seal, sand, and polish all of my carbon fiber pieces. The results are mirror finish edges and a smooth tactile feel when you handle the car.

The F104 X1 comes with an FRP lower and upper deck as well as a carbon fiber battery hold down plate. This is my first experience with the latest FRP material that Tamiya utilizes and the quality of the cuts were a pleasant suprise. For the FRP parts, I skipped the CA sealing and went straight to wet sanding starting at a 180 grit and finishing with a 1500 grit. Afterwards, I polished the edges with Mother's Polish. The finish isn't as mirror smooth as it would be if it was carbon fiber, but for my first FRP chassis, it's good enough.

Setting up for chassis prep:

Close up of raw carbon fiber edge:

On the carbon fiber piece, I wet sanded with 180 grit to knock off the sharp edge and then applied two coats of CA with a cotton swab.

A couple of tips on sealing with CA:
  • Avoid using glue under flourescent light. The UV rays accelerate the cure time and yeilds a rough, crinkly surface.
  • Try to seal with a warm ambient temperature, somewhere between 75-90 degrees F. If it's too cold, a white residue will form.
  • Be patient and apply thin layers allowing proper drying time between coats.

After applying the CA I set the carbon fiber piece aside to completely dry. The area I'm taking photos in is full of flourescent lighting and would really mess it up. I'll post pictures later

Bearing Prep:
I took all of the axle bearings and did an initial blow out of grease with a quick hit of motor spray. I then placed them in a jar of motorspray and set them aside to marinate until needed. Again, this is only for the axle bearings...I did not do this for differential bearings. Also, keep in mind this trick is intended for spec, silvercan, or slow motor racing and bearing life will be shortened

That's it before starting on step 1.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0_chassis prep1.jpg
Views:	3467
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	784963   Click image for larger version

Name:	0_chassis prep2.jpg
Views:	6174
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	784964   Click image for larger version

Name:	0_bearing prep1.jpg
Views:	3418
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	784965  

Last edited by rtypec; 07-22-2011 at 07:57 PM.