R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - "How To Properly Build And Break In a Ball Differential and Slipper Clutch"
Old 07-21-2011, 02:15 PM
racer53
Tech Master

Thanks for taking the time to do this write-up. Forget those people complaining about the sound, it is just fine. I have a Losi xxx-sct and most of what you said transfers over across the different manufacturers.

I do have one question though. What is the difference between using carbide, ceramic, or just regular chrome steel balls? Durability? Performance? Longevity? I'm new to electric and just wondering. Thanks in advance!
Thanks...

As to your question...Carbide is the preffered material for diff balls it offers great durability and hardness...Ceramic is just too hard to use in the diff, it can actually cause slipping because the balls are so hard...Stock balls tend to flatten out, or wear out too easily for most people's liking...

As for what material to use in the thrust bearing assembly, I would go with ceramic because in this instance you want the balls to be as hard as they can be, because it is acting as a bearing...

Good Luck