R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya Ta06
Thread: Tamiya Ta06
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Hurricane Sonic
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by cherry2blost
Having been the proud owner of numerous HPI Pro 3's over the years, including one of the first into the UK, I always found the chassis to have to much longitudinal flex, basically with the graphite battery bar the belts were to tight and there was no way to relieve it. We constructed a bracing bar to run from front to rear with 4mm (2mm thickness) carbon fibre Rod with liquid metal in the end capturing some threaded rod to which we attached plastic ball cups (the open type. This allowed us to adjust very slightly the tension on the belts, but another unforeseen benefit was the complete lack of longitudinal flex. The Pro 3 was designed to flex and the sideways flex was always useful on cold asphalt tracks, by using a single rod you cut out the longitudinal flex but keep the lateral flex that is designed into the car.

Step forward 12 years or so and I now have the TA06, took one look at the way the font box section was flexing when giving minimal pressure to the belt and have decided to do the same again.

take a look at the pic and you will notice that I have used the front Shock mount stay to attach a ball end, and have drilled the read shock tower to accept another ball end, once the rod turns up from the place I have ordered it from will repeat the Pro 3 trick and do away with the longitudinal flex while keeping the lateral flex built into the car. Using ball ends allows a tiny bit of 'give' so that the chassis is not rigid in an accident also the rod seems to transfer a lot of crash energy to the rear shock stay so it may even protect the chassis somewhat.

Will post a pic of the completed job once it's finished, but I have one question, could someone post up the build /modification for the placement of the servo on the Right hand side of the chassis, I have placed the servo to the rear of the car on the right to check clearances etc. and intend to use a long Pro 3 steering linkage for the task as this shallows down the angle for the servo.
nice idea on the long rod, it must help a lot on this soft plastic chassis...

seems only mine is modified to be RHS servo, pls wait and see if I can take some pics when I rebuild the car...