R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC
Old 05-16-2011, 03:20 AM
taz00
Tech Apprentice

Hi Paul, I tried most of your suggestions and the car felt better. The only thing I did not do was to take 1mms of shims out from under the front camber link above the caster block but I intend on doing it next time.
Also I switched bodies to an HPI Pikes Peak Escudo (massive amounts of down force ).
I had a 2hr endurance race this Sunday and I noticed that the car was eating up the outside of the right tires (front and rear).
The setup from the race is attached.

After the race I increased the camber to 3.0 and it felt better but I did not have enough time to check for wear or lap times. Do I keep increasing the camber till the rears wear slightly conical on the inside and the fronts flat or there is no reason to do so since the long sweeper after the straight will eat up the outside of my tires and if I try to fix this I will mess the car up for all the other corners. FWIW the car turns fine on that sweeper.

I set the camber using the Hudy setup station and I have noticed that this gives me 0,5-1,0 degrees less camber than when I check it with the quick camber gauge . I believe this is because of the slop in the suspension arms etc and the fact that when I measure with the wheels on only the inside of the tire rests on the board.

Also, what is the effect of lowering the diffs? I can understand the lower center of gravity but is there another part that it affects? I run with the diffs in the lower position as per xray's suggestion for open tracks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup.png
Views:	171
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	753147