R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya F104 Pro!
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 07:17 AM
abailey21
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by digitrc
Just because the standard ESC doesn't have a LiPo cutoff doesn't mean you can't use LiPo.

It just means you need to be aware of when the car is losing power and stop running immediately. If you are bashing, or are not an experienced driver, you might not notice in time.

If so, you can fit an external alarm/cut-off.

Or you can follow the advice above that the LiFe cutoff doesn't damage the LiPos, despite the lower voltage. At your own risk, obviously.

There are not very many brushed ESCs with a LiPo cutoff out there, because brushed popularity was dying off already when LiPo became popular.

Speaking as a racer, I am still a big fan of sealed can brushed motors for "slow" racing, and I use them with LiPo and no cutoff every week.
^^What he said, but in conjunction...

Originally Posted by fritzzz
Sheeesh, it's almost getting to the cost point where I'd be better off buying an ESC / motor combo and ditching the stock can...
If your racing here's my jedi mind trick. most races are 5-8 minutes depending on the track, mine is 6 min so I'll go with that number.

When i go out to practice I just set a stop watch for 6 minutes, I know my battery has at least 20+ more minutes because of it's size but I have never had an issue with a cutoff because I don't drive the car anywhere near the cutoff area. I normally pull my car off with 7.7v or higher on it.

If your planning on bashing the same idea applies but just set your stopwatch for like 14-15 minutes, or whatever your comfortable with to stay on the safe side.