R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI Racing "Copperhead 12" discussion and support
Old 05-07-2011, 11:51 AM
sdunnmcp
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LonnyJ1950
You are right, you can't please everyone. On my personal 1/12Th cars, there is no play in the pivots, because I take the time to hand fit each one. It's part of good prep, but on this car it's not possible. Having raced 1/12Th for 30 odd years with a wide variety of cars, I find this a little strange. This car has been used, but it doesn't look like it has been used much. The center pivot has approximately .2mm of vertical play, is that within your acceptable tolerance? And the instructions and the website show pivot balls and pivot cups for the side pivots as 2 part numbers, do you buy them separately and press fit them yourself or is there another part number I am missing? I am not trying to rag on the car, or pick a fight and get flamed, I have never worked on a BMI before and this is different. Thanks.
I too have raced 1/12 for 25+ years. I can tell you that if you do not have some play in the frond end it will not work. It's kind of like trying to mount the body without play, you need some play to make it driveable, if not it will dart and be too sensitive. Remember these are not real cars and the setups do not cross over. Oh yea I have worked for Indy car teams and NHRA Teams and we even have play on some parts of those cars also.

Steve Dunn
Indianapolis, USA