R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Losi JRXS Type-R
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 AM
jayh50
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrodieMan
I'm no expert but I believe you would lose a little bit of top end speed as the front and rear tires are not rotating at the same speed. The car may wander a bit on long straights especially if it's bumpy. That's just speculation, I am very likely wrong
The way it was explained to me by an engineer from general motors is that if you use the same gear ratio front and rear, there is enough tolerence built into the drivetrain to allow the front end to always be hunting for the same speed as the rear, due to variations in tire diameter and driveline tolerences etc. to cause the car to wander. If you overdrive the front slightly by one tooth, the front end is alway pulling the back, which maintains straight line stability and turning stability. Sort of like pulling a rope vs pushing a rope. lol
I personally dont think it affects t/c cars like full size as much do to tighter tolerences and size in our models.
As far as speed is concerned I do agree that you would probably loose a little top end and also put an extra amount of draw on the battery due to the extra drag placed on the motor. I also think that the loss would be very small
in top end and battery drain.
Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.