R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Just thought I'd post an update on my struggles with my evil M05M. It had resisted all my efforts and the suggestions on this thread and a number given to me in PMs. That damned evil piece of S--- behaved the same way no matter what we did to it short of total destruction.

A fellow racer, Kevin Nino, whose M05M is excellent, took that evil monster home with him and went thru it. He returned to me, a car that was very, very good. I like to run very little droop in the shocks cause that's what my M03 M&L seem to like. Kevin increased the droop about 1.5 to 2mm over what I had and we had us a new car. He says that was about the only change required. I now have a car that responds predictably to spring changes, drives in a straight line, doesn't pull one way then another under acceleration. I forgot. he raised rhe front ride height a mm over what it was before. I've taken to calling Kevin the exorcist.

In some ways, I envy my Australian friends and others, who have the benefit of using different tire and insert combinations. But, tire changes may have made the car driveable and I then would still have a car in need of an exorcism. I'm changing my position on the Spec tire and think it's not a bad idea. Not trying to start anything here, just saying I like the one we're using.

I guess the new B compound tire aren't selling cause the rumor mill has been floating the possibility of a new Spec tire for TCS in the USA. I'd heard that was for next year. Don't know if it is an addition to one we have now, or a replacement.