R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 AM
digitrc
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Hi,

always had an understanding problem with rebound, but know Iīm totally confused on how talking about it:

Putting a foam on the diaphragm will cause an higher pressure on the oil when the damper is compressed, so the piston rod comes out (because of the piston rod volume has compressed the diaphragm and the foam), so this is for me a push out force on the piston rod. (as gas force on a real damper)
Building a shock with "rebound" is to close it with e.g. fully compressed length during closing process. As result the shock sucks the piston rod in, which is a rebound force, isnīt it?

So leaving out the foam will cause little more "rebound" as with a foam, as long as closing the shock in the same condition.

In my last TEC race I saw the M03 winner building his shocks with fully pressed in piston rod and without foam, as I would see it "full rebound"...

Thatīs just how I understand it, but do you guys here see it the other way round? To compare setups, itīs important to speak the same language...

So letīs discuss, Iīve still a lot to learn about setups!

BR,
Matthias
"Rebound" is the extension stroke of the shock. In English, you might call the compression stroke "bound".

Personally I never build the Tamiya shocks with the foam wedge as I feel it gives an artificially strong rebound. And I never build a shock that sucks the shaft back in. I'm not saying it's right, it's just what I do.