R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - USGT
Thread: USGT
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 12:57 PM
robk
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimPotter
IMHO, I do not care what tires we run, just as long as they are easy and cheap, which the HPI ones are neither.

I think at our club , we may open the tires up a bit.. and let the racers run the solaris premounts,HPI or the Blast off.... Not sure just yet, have to do some back to back testing. I know that a properly setup GT Car with the Right HPI tires has as much grip as a set of race slicks... As far as the tires are concerned... this is really the breakdown for me

HPI = Most scale looking, 3 choices of rubber, most expensive, and have to build them, your looking at 40 bucks between the tires, rim and glue.. Wear is all over the place, our track I can get months of running from a set, at other places.. One set a race day. But you CANNOT beat the SCALE look of these.. they are simply awesome....
Originally Posted by andyh
RE: RCGT
In regards to the tire issue, X-Patterns became the suggested spec tire simply because of availability. Currently as far as 26mm touring car tires, the 3 X-Pattern compounds are the most widely available. That is also why we left it open to the 3 different compounds. Again to not run into a potential situation where "the only 1 spec tire" happens to be "out" and no one can run the class. As far as wheels are concerned I have from the beginning always made it open to any realistic 26mm wheels.

I hope that I've answered some questions and shed some light on the concept of RCGT.

Thank you,

AndyH

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Tim and Mike, Thanks for the comments regarding tire wear. I tend to agree with you. Personally I've rarely seen a set of X-Patterns wear the tread down in 1 race day. BUT...I have experienced the "death groove" in 1 day which all but makes a set of tires useless beyond that day. Do I believe some people have seen excessive tread wear....you bet.
Originally Posted by TimPotter
As the tires go. Some tracks go thorugh tires faster the others. If you run the Pro Non Belted tires, sometimes you can only get one race day on them. People run the Pro Non belsted because they hook up better and are generally faster on asphalt. So it is a situation of run the tires or don't compete. When that happens you have a dead class.

We do not have that issue at our track or most others, but at the same time, we could find a MUCH MORE cost effect situation. just something to think about.
This is some of the stuff that informed the current tire rule. At this point, the rule is definitely not final. However, there seemed to be plenty of complaints about the X patterns, mostly centering around wear vs. the price.
Availability issues are very secondary, but still there.

To be honest, I would consider specing these 3 tires:
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...=714&p_catid=4
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...=715&p_catid=4
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...=716&p_catid=4

The price is unreal, and so far they work great on carpet. If they are ok on asphalt, it would be a great deal.