R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Cactus Classic and other big events. Have they lost sight of whats important???
Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Matt Trimmings
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

I have been to numerous Cactus Classic's throughout the 12 or so years i have been racing. I do agree with the original poster about how these types of events are being put on has changed....but Casey makes a very valid point in saying that it is turning to a more professional type of event. My first cactus was when i was about 15 years old...i think me and my buddy ran 4wd mod and finished last and second to last...it was still fun though being in the event and on the same track that the pros which we had read about in magazines on. Back then the pros were off in the corner under a generic tent with their clique. I remember the concourse competitions (which Maifield's Dad won every year), and the raffles on sunday...it was definitely fun.

Fast forward to the present day Cactus (which i also attended) and that feel is completely different. The Associated, Losi, Kyosho and Pro-Line pits look very professional with the team canopies and the team drivers right there up front willing to answer any question or give setup tips to whomever. It is starting to have the Supercross feel to it.

There are more people and with technology of today they can run longer. This contributed to the long waits for track time on wednesday and thursday but the race directors handled this with controlled practice very well, the most i waited in line was about 15-20 minutes. The qualifying days were long but if your races were spaced out you had plenty of time to go grab a bite to eat at an actual restaurant and hang out with friends. This down time is also great for meeting/catching up with other racers that you may only see once or twice a year.

As far as the recognition goes...i disagree with the op. With the newer technology of brushless and lipo throughout the past few years it has helped the 'new' style of electric races tremendously in my opinion. Triple A mains were always fun but i think its more fun to try to make the Main event when its a 10-15 minute main. One of the guys i race with regularly bumped all the way from the E main to the B in 17.5 buggy...I am sure that it was very exciting for him to make it all the way up there, and i know that the announcer made sure to put that personal recognition into for those that were having the good runs, the bumps, the fantastic finishes. It is nearly impossible to make sure that everyone is happy, and if you have a bad run do you want the announcer to make it known?

Overall I had an excellent time at this years and hope to make next years as well. As SRS has gone through several owners there have been improvements each time to the facility and program, I can only see it getting better in the years to come.