Thread: TA-05 ver.2
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 10:20 PM
maxepower
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool RE: Tamiya Turnbuckles

Originally Posted by Gho5tRevo
well finally got my kit in after super long shipping from HK, anyway assembly is going great. not nearly as tough as i thought it was going to be. just alot of attention to detail. anyway. anyone else have trouble with the turnbuckles? they are the biggest pain to assemble. i swear my fingers are damn near raw from trying to squeeze and turn the plastic pieces on the rod. and the little turnbuckle wrench they include isn't much help. Is there anyway i can just buy some already put together? what about all of those fancy blue ones everyone has, are they any easier to put together? any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated!
Yes, the Tamiya aluminum wrenches are much wider and make it much easier. You could pre-thread on side of the ball cup and after that one is attached then struggle thru the Left handed side. You can also put on the long ball end and throw a coulple of spacers or even the steering posts on the ball end and pop it on the connector and use that to add some leverage to hang on to the connector while your turning the turnbuckle with the wider wrench. Another tip might be a drop of oil in the connector might reduce the amount of friction lower the resistance when forming the thread!
The only real pain is on the servo saver turnbuckle. Getting the right length to get mechanical center then cock the servo saver just enough to get even travel without running one side into the side of the tub chassis.
There is just enough uneven travel from left to right to be a non issue but enough to say why did they design it that way? The best part in enjoying RC cars is building a brand new chassis for the first time and the satisfaction of getting it right, the first time. YOU HOPE!
Been building Tamiya cars for over 10 years and still get a thrill building a new car each time!
Just my 2$