R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 966
Thread: Serpent 966
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Winner's Circle
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sammies
hmmm...too much play or something is binding... that got me thinking...

there is a spacer/washer that goes between the 2 bearings (the bearing in the 2-speed bearing block and the 2nd speed spur gear)... i believe it is 1mm thickness

I lost this spacer/washer... so i used shims... however, when i put a total of 1mm shims between the 2 bearings, i find that the locking pin rubs against the flanged bearing (the one that is in the 2nd speed spur gear)... so i reduced the shims to 0.6mm worth which, i find, gave me minimal play and the locking pin does not rub against the flanged bearing... however, could this be the source of my problem?

With regards to not maintaing the 1-way bearing so often... i will definitely give that a try as well...

Will try both seperately so that there is at least a logical troubleshooting/process of elimination...

this problem is really driving me nuts, not to mention burning a hole in my wallet...

thanks all for the valuable feedback.
One more thing to check - Make sure your clutch flywheel nut is TIGHT. If it is not, the flywheel will slip every time the car shifts and when it slips it will cause the clutch adjusting nut to tighten a little. At some point this nut gets tight enough so that the spring coil binds and the clutch does not fully engage causing the clutch shoe to slip and it will wear out very quickly.

Lee