View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 PM
JeromeK99
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xpress
Mail order!
No! lol

The biggest reason is that most track/shop owners are new to the business end... sure they may have been racers or hobbyists.. but retail is a tough business!

There is no substitution for experience. (eh.. maybe loads of cash, but that will run out eventually)

Mail order (internet) is actually a great source of new customers. Sure they can beat you up on price for the big items (but shops make so little on those anyways). Most people would rather buy that $5-$10 in person and get their toys working again.

The minute I hear a new shop/track owner whining about online retailers or discounters, I know they are doomed. You got to know how to market. Whining about anything to customers is bad.

I was in the business for years... had a shop and a separate shop/track for a time... why am I not still doing it? Partners who didn't understand business.......... and long hours... might do it again someday when the economy is looking a little better.. besides I enjoy my hobbies way too much right now to ruin it by making it work again!

Jerome