R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Would like to get into the sport. Where should I start?
Old 02-18-2011, 07:23 PM
MotoGod
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mx51
I have both a yamaha yz250f and yz450f i think for someone getting into the sport the fourstroke is the only way to go.The 250f is a perfect all around bike..If you get one and decide motocross isnt for you,and would like to start trailriding,well you would have the perfect bike for that as well.Going 2 stroke you are either on the power or off,so they can be very difficult to learn how to ride,were a fourstroke you dont have to be on the power to get power if that makes sense..A 2 stroke you have to feather the clutch all the time coming out of corners and such,were a fourstroke just give it gas!!!A fourstroke has a much smoother powerband were 2 stroke is right now thats what i meant about on the power or off..As far as what brand man everyone has there own opinoin unless your a pro you will never be able to tell the difference they are all solid bikes these days just boils down to what color you want..Witch you can change with a cheep set of plastics
While I agree with you on 4 strokes....they are also a LOT more $$$ to keep race ready. Someone just starting out...I would recommend a used 125 2 stroker really. They are dead simple to work on and rebuild.....they have decent power on tap but won't be as much as the current crop of 250Fs.....they will also teach you how to ride a little better when first starting out. At least in my opinion anyway.... 4 strokes make you a lazy rider ;-) I know....I did the swap back in 2003 and was LOVING it, but I turned lazy. Pull holeshot...shift to 3rd....ride in 3rd as long as possible. Lug it...rev it....whatever ya need!

I think my main reasoning for recommending a 2 stroke to a new entry to the sport is cost though. Yes you will be down on power, but once you learn to ride it....you will keep right up with the C Class without a problem at all. Heck...if you can keep it on 2 wheels...you will blow right by 80% of the C Class anyway. My only concern with a 125 or even a 250F is you're 6'1" and 210lbs. That's big to race in the 125/250F class. I was always a bigger guy in the 125 class as well back a few years...so it's not a HUGE concern...but you will be ready to move up to a 250/450F in a year or so without a doubt.

Anyway...that's my 2 cents. You can't go wrong with either a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke....but the 2 stroke will cost you less to try out the sport for sure.