R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - NEW HOBBYWING STOCK SUPERCHARGED SOFTWARE
Old 02-16-2011, 10:24 PM
TryHard
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
I think you have got it wrong. There is a perfect timing for any motor at a certain RPM. It has become very obvious that the SP motors need +10 on the motor to make really good horsepower and torque. I am yet to see an SP motor go good with 0 degrees on the endbell. They do run cooler like that but much slower too... less timing doesn't mean more torque nescesarily, it all depends on how much you already have on there and how much it can handle + what gear ratio you have. Higher FDR means you can have more timing.

Mike
Whilst I don't agree with the opening part of your post, I do agree with what you state at the end... it depends on what motor is being used.
Remember, timing on the endbell affects the whole rev range, not a specific part of it.

This come back to there not really being a "neutral" timing standard for motors... i.e. they all come with differing amounts of timing in-built.
Seems the SP motors require a little +ve from their neutral mark (when I ran over a year ago, only ran +5), whilst I know the X12 prefer to run with their "oooo" / -10° insert.
Going deeper, you say that the SP motor's don't produce good power with 0°, and run cooler, well, without timed ESC's, you'd be gearing up up compensate... and thats a sure fire indication of there being more torque avaliable, if you follow. Torque and power are two different things...

Regards
Ed