R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Granpa
Tech Elite

Thank you for the compliment Tom. You are much too kind. Tom is someone I've been trying to talk into racing Minis more seriously. First time out in Mini he qualifies in the middle of the "A". With an M03 by the way. Very skilled driver who under rates himself.

FOR 2 Bad. Lesson #1 in Minis is to forget most of what you know about chassis tuning from your touring car days. They are almost as different as men and women. Your query about toe is an example. On a mini, USUALLY, toe out will make the car run straighter and turn in softer. Taking out some toe out can make the turn in more aggressive. Completely the opposite from a TC. Lesson #2 is that the SWB, MWB, & LWB all tune differently and an adjustment that's right for the SWB will usually be 180 degrees out for a LWB car. Since you are running S-Grips, you can do a lot of tuning with the inserts. The most versatile method is to stuff with TC inserts that have been cut to different lengths. If I remember correctly, start out circa 170mm, then use contact cement to glue the ends. A more consistant metod is to "double stuff" the tires by using a full length insert on the outside. The two combinations I used most often were the Muchmore Pink insert, full length, backed inside with the#50686 or the #53255 Tamiya foam inserts. It's been awhile so I don't remember whether the foam inserts had to be shortened, but I think so. The spec tire we run here is good and I believe the part # is1016. It's just a S-grip with the 53255 foam insert on the 11 spoke Swift type rim. They would make you a good rear tire but the wear rate is high when used in the front.

Start tuning with the tires, then go onto the other stuff.