R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC
Old 02-10-2011, 10:50 PM
shano83

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

[QUOTE=Paul L;8631387]Hi. A 4.0 motor should be pleanty fast, that is the wind that i normally use.
A gear diff will always have the potential to make a faster lap time but is much less forgiving than a ball diff, especially on power. I normally use a gear diff now, but it is harder for me to make no driving mistakes with it.

The key for me to get a good ball diff is in the thrust, whenever i rebuild my ball diffs i always replace the thrust. use the flat side of thrust washer (no built in groove for thrust balls), if one side has a factory groove just use the other side. I will then use Hudy black grease or associated black grease on the thrust. for the rings i will sand them with 600-1000grit sandpaper untill no signs of previous wear is showing, you want to sand the ring to have little scratches all over from the sandpaper, this gives the balls traction on the rings. For ball/ring grease i normally use associated stealth clear grease, just a dab on each ball and a film of it on the back side of the ring.

hope this helps

Cheers mate on the advice! When you say a film of grease on the backside of the ring thats the side that sits against the drive cup side is it.I might try running the ball diff as i had run it while using my 17.7t with boost and found it to be quite nice to drive.Only problem i have found is that through one of our hairpin turns and sweeper the back end kicks out slightly so what would you do tho change this so its planted.On the rest of the track it feels really nice and planted.

Last edited by shano83; 02-11-2011 at 12:15 AM.