R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Associated RC12R5
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM
RedBullFiXX
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Like I say, I didn't have any problems in 40 degree heat, it was just something I was told.

Complete set-up: ok, sure, it changes a little (tyres and caster mainly) depending upon the exact conditions, because this is an open outdoor track on rough tarmac. But here is my standard set-up for this track after 3 meetings with the car: Motor: 6.5 turn, mild timing; Gearing 65/30; Tyres: (generally 46-44 mm) Exceed Hard Front, Exceed Medium Rear/CRC Pink (have also used CRC purple fronts with the pink rears, but that's a little twitchy); Caster: 1.8 degrees, Camber: 2.5 degrees right wheel, 1 degree left wheel (otherwise the tyres cone so much my trim is badly off at the end of the race – there are 3 high speed left handers on the circuit, and not much in the way of turning right); upper-arm mounts: 10 degrees; Side-spring: silver; side shock: 30 wt; centre shock 30 wt blue spring, top mounting position; ~ 1.5mm droop; body: Protoform Aston-Martin Lola; front and rear track is standard; battery forward; slight toe-out; ride-height: 3.5 mm; front springs 0.020; diff: fairly tight.

Edit: I assume you want the complete set-up to help diagnose the hair-pin problem, which I appreciate. I'm most interested in the fundamentals of oil vs. springs though; give a man a fish etc.
I understand where you are coming from I think ?
But my strategy is K.I.S.S.
It's usually the simple things that keep a car from handling somewhat neutral.

Your camber idea sounds odd, I would think you would have inconsistent handling, and tweak with that setup.

If there are bumps on the track you may consider raising the ride height.

imo, the 12R5 with 1s can work very well at 4 to 5mm ride height.
This can help the car to roll through the corner more, instead of scrubbing the front tires so much.

Obviously if traction roll is an issue a lower ride height is necessary.

Have you considered something like a Jaco yellow or Grey on the rear with lilac or PinkX2 up front ?

The kit setup on the R5/5.1 should work well everywhere with the "right tires"
And fine tune from there.

For the dampers, I have found 20wt side and 30wt center to work well as a base setup.
remember to replace the o-ring often (every rebuild) to keep them working consistent.