R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
monkeyracing
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Funny, I was thinking about this last night. Specifically about how much slop there is in a mini and how taking it out is either impossible or pointless. There must be a point somewhere, however where the slop could be reduced.

EG: The rear suspension on my M-06 is so sloppy that attempting to measure toe in with any degree of accuracy is futile at best. One side is toed in and has around 3 degrees of play back and forth and the other side has the same mechanical setup but is essentially at zero toe and has around 4 or 5 degrees of slop. This is a new car with less than an hour on it, btw.

So, I took some things apart and started fiddling around. I noticed there was a lot of play at the bottom of the upright where it is pinned to the lower control arm. Usually, this would be shimmed, but I thought differently this time. I took the lower control arm apart and trimmed down the areas where it the two pieces join together. I also had to open up the insides on the end where it connects to the chassis, seeing as I shortened the whole assembly a few tenths of a millimeter.

Once it was all back together, it seemed to have fixed most of the difference between the left and right sides of the car. Not bad.

What I'm wondering is just how much of this type of subtle modification do TCS champions do? Do they do this themselves? Are they supplied with already tweaked parts? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jim